PDA

View Full Version : Discus are so sensitive.

thang45
03-26-2008, 09:00 AM
My LFS discus stock has been completely wiped out two weeks ago because he wasn’t careful when cleaning the tanks. He has 3 systems throughout his store and one day he decided to clean a non-discus system and the top glass of the tanks. Usually this routine is fine, but this time he decided to clean his discus system right after the other system and introduce some kind of diseases. I think he got over 250 to 300 discus, and at least half of them are adults. I felt so bad for him.

fishmama
03-26-2008, 09:05 AM
That is truly too bad, what a shame :(

I always start with my discus tanks, then clean others. Or not even do them on the same day. I have even been known to take a shower after working with QT tanks prior to working with discus. I know...extreme:p

Kindredspirit
03-26-2008, 09:13 AM
I know...extreme:p

Ya think? LOL! You are too funny, Lisa ~ but hey....why take the risk...been there done that ~ and I QT in a different room:(

I should have taken your "shower" on that day, trust me:(:(

thang45
03-26-2008, 09:54 AM
That is truly too bad, what a shame :(

I always start with my discus tanks, then clean others. Or not even do them on the same day. I have even been known to take a shower after working with QT tanks prior to working with discus. I know...extreme:p

LOL, that is a bit extreme. But if you love and care for you discus that much then I guess it is not that bad.

Ya think? LOL! You are too funny, Lisa ~ but hey....why take the risk...been there done that ~ and I QT in a different room:(

I should have taken your "shower" on that day, trust me:(:(

Different room for QT.:D:D Now that's extreme.

Don Trinko
03-26-2008, 01:51 PM
I have different syphons for each discus tank and a different tube for each discus tank for my main syphon. I use a differnet hose to fill the tanks than the hose that I use to drain them.
I always start with my favorites and work my way down to my least favorite tank. I also wash my hands and arms if I clean the sick tank. ( no sick fish at the moment) Hoses and syphons are cheap compaired to the cost of the fish. Don T.

phidelt85
03-27-2008, 06:11 AM
I've got stock in Palmolive Antibacterial soap and very hot water. Did I mention I have a permanent red left arm from the scalding hot water; I thoroughly scrub between tanks. :)

thang45
03-27-2008, 11:13 AM
I have different syphons for each discus tank and a different tube for each discus tank for my main syphon. I use a differnet hose to fill the tanks than the hose that I use to drain them.
I always start with my favorites and work my way down to my least favorite tank. I also wash my hands and arms if I clean the sick tank. ( no sick fish at the moment) Hoses and syphons are cheap compaired to the cost of the fish. Don T.

I’m doing the same thing as you. But having 8 tanks and 8 siphons takes up a lot of space. I was thinking of getting a bucket for each tank. But I think that is too extreme:crazy:.

Did I mention I have a permanent red left arm from the scalding hot water; I thoroughly scrub between tanks. :)

Now that’s dedication :D

Kindredspirit
03-27-2008, 11:32 AM
Different room for QT.:D:D Now that's extreme.

Well that is where the extra tank was:D (And actually, I know many that QT new arrivals far far way from civilization:) ) BUT...I fed this discus and then I was on the phone and went to my main tank in the living room, not paying attention, and put my hand in the tank to feed them fbw, as they eat from my hand...

I am pretty sure that is what did it for me:(

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=50775

thang45
03-27-2008, 03:39 PM
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=50775

I felt the same way when I use the same bucket to clean the sponges. It is a very bad idea.

I have lost many discus because I was new to the hobby. But now after a few years into the hobby I have learn how to take care of them, but yet sometimes I fell lazy and do something stupid and then regret it dearly after. A good example, I bought 2 new adults and lost 3 adults because I didn’t QT. :(

MostlyDiscus
03-27-2008, 03:49 PM
Hmmm gives the central system a whole new meaning. One bucket,one hose and I shower whenever I want. Hi k.s. ;)