PDA

View Full Version : Treat one or all for tapeworm?

digthemlows
03-26-2008, 09:16 AM
I noticed a tapeworm coming out of one of my dicus last night. He's eating and swimming fine, but it was clearly a tapeworm. He's in with 9 others in a 125 gallon planted. Should I prazipro the whole tank, or put the one fish in a QT tank and treat him there? If one fish has worms, will the rest? Also, if he's passing them, should I let nature take it's course and skip meds? I hesitate to medicate for every little thing as it seems they lose natural immunity if meds are always used (of course I have no data to back that up:) )

pcsb23
03-26-2008, 11:21 AM
If it is passing worms (and you have not treated) then it is heavily infested and letting nature take its course will lead to the fishes death.

I'd treat the whole tank.

brewmaster15
03-26-2008, 11:47 AM
I'd treat the whole tank also.

If you are seeing a fish pass tape worms without having used a dewormer... that doesn't mean the tapeworms are dead in the fish...quite the opposite...it means as Paul implied that theres a heavy infestation... what happens with tapeworms is they stay attached and grow and grow...sometimes in excess of 12" ..depending on the species...... then they mechanically break somewhere along the body ....and what you are seeing is a piece..not the whole worm...The worm is attached and still growing and still sucking nutrients out of the fish thru its hook like mouth .

The piece you see being passed is actually a series of segments...each containing eggs...many many eggs....

hth,
al

digthemlows
03-26-2008, 01:39 PM
I'll start at lunch today! Thanks! CBW must have carried something into the tank because I haven't added anything to the tank for 3 months.

Don Trinko
03-26-2008, 01:45 PM
Prazi pro is relativly harmless to the fish and also kills flukes. I would treat the whole tank. Don T.

digthemlows
03-26-2008, 06:48 PM
Ok, 6 teaspoons into the 125 gallon and I'll watch for some worms.

digthemlows
03-27-2008, 12:12 AM
same fish is now passing them..........
http://starboardbough.com/tmp/tapeworm1.jpg
http://starboardbough.com/tmp/tapeworm2.jpg

pcsb23
03-27-2008, 06:24 AM
Not pretty to look at, but better out than in :)

Redose in two weeks or so now that you have seen worms expelled.