a few more shots :D

Condor
03-26-2008, 10:30 AM
WOW Rod those look fantastic.:)

Adrian

brewmaster15
03-26-2008, 11:50 AM
Rod,
Those are fantastic! Nice job there my friend.....please send them to April...and she can send them to me!:)

-al

Brian Mc
03-26-2008, 05:11 PM
:shocked: You must be very proud, nice work!

Lee C
03-26-2008, 05:46 PM
Rod,
Some nice ones mate, especially the shape. Nice small eyes.

regards,
Lee

vera
03-26-2008, 05:55 PM
Rod,those are the most beautiful turqs i've seen,6months!what do u feed them?

Rod
03-26-2008, 06:12 PM
Thanks guys, glad you like them :)

Hi Vera, They are being fed frozen bloodworms, brine shrimps, sera discus granules, and a home made beefheart mix. 3 parts heart, 1 part raw prawn meat, 5% fruit usually banana, apple or similar, 1 slightly rounded teaspoon astaxanthin per kg. Thanks for your comments :)

Rod

Darren's Discus
03-26-2008, 08:27 PM
I was lucky enough to catch up with Rod last week whilst in Brisbane and i must say those pics look good but the fish look so much better in real life. Remember your friend up north when they start breeding.:D:D:D

cheers

Rod
03-27-2008, 03:17 PM
I was lucky enough to catch up with Rod last week whilst in Brisbane and i must say those pics look good but the fish look so much better in real life. Remember your friend up north when they start breeding.:D:D:D

cheers
hehe, no problems Darren. Glad you liked them.....

alexh
03-27-2008, 07:46 PM
Hey Rod,

very nice fish that you've there.

alex

Lex2000
03-27-2008, 10:13 PM
mate, those are fabulous.

beta
03-28-2008, 01:59 AM
You continue to wow us!

vera
03-28-2008, 02:41 AM
Thanks guys, glad you like them :)

Hi Vera, They are being fed frozen bloodworms, brine shrimps, sera discus granules, and a home made beefheart mix. 3 parts heart, 1 part raw prawn meat, 5% fruit usually banana, apple or similar, 1 slightly rounded teaspoon astaxanthin per kg. Thanks for your comments :)

Rod
Thank u Rod:)
when u make your mix do u seal it after with gelatine or just freez it?

Rod
03-28-2008, 06:37 AM
Thank u Rod:)
when u make your mix do u seal it after with gelatine or just freez it?

No Gelatine Vera, just mix it all together in the food processor and freeze in thick slabs. When it is frozen i grate it to the appropriate size for the fish to be be fed. even 4 week old fry take to the dust size mix and grow like mad. Feed the mix 2 times a day, and something different for the rest. 4 to 6 feed a day so as each feed the stomach area extends quite noticably......don't forget to change lots of water.

Thanks everyone for the great comments, i'm quite proud of these guys and nice to know others like them too. :)

GulfCoastDiscus
03-28-2008, 07:48 AM
As always Rod nice shape. Quality that can't be beat.

vera
03-28-2008, 07:50 AM
Thanx a lot Rod!really appreciated

littlezebra
03-29-2008, 08:26 AM
Rod,
Gorgeous fish and great job. :) Well done.

Can we have a chance to see the pics of their parents and the astaxanthin.:p

Eric

DavidH
03-29-2008, 01:52 PM
Rod, really like turks and yours are great.

Dave

RyanH
03-29-2008, 05:03 PM
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d109/RyantheHutt/Borat-VeryNiceMedium.jpg

GrillMaster
03-29-2008, 05:54 PM
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d109/RyantheHutt/Borat-VeryNiceMedium.jpg

:D :D :D :D :D

Those are some beautiful turks Rod!! Well done!! :thumbsup:

tc
Mark

Rod
03-29-2008, 06:47 PM
Thanks guys:)

These pics are the parents....hope you all like. The father is one of my favourite fish.

Eric, you want pics of the astaxanthin?.....basically it is just maroon colored powder.

Rod
03-29-2008, 07:56 PM
Heres some pics i took today.:)

Darren's Discus
03-29-2008, 09:34 PM
Sometimes you just can't beat the classics ! love that male.

cheers

littlezebra
03-29-2008, 09:39 PM
Thanks guys:)

These pics are the parents....hope you all like. The father is one of my favourite fish.

Eric, you want pics of the astaxanthin?.....basically it is just maroon colored powder.

Rod,

Thanks for sharing the pics of the parents. The pattern and the body shape of the offsprings are a little different with their parents. Indeed, both the parents and their fry are nice fish.

Re. astaxanthin, I want to have a look of its packing. Is it produced specially from fish or originally for human treatment. Was it sold in local fish shop or pharmacy? How much is it?

Eric

Rod
03-30-2008, 04:12 PM
Hi Eric, I buy my astaxanthin from this place http://www.advancedfoods.com.au/index.htm

Regarding pattern, the pattern is the same on the adults as the young if you compare age line photos. This line takes about 2.5 to 3 years to achieve full color.

Regarding shape, as the youngsters grow and develop they will get a much broader, rounder head along with other changes as the fish mature. In saying that i believe i picked out the nicest shaped ones for myself, hoping to be better and better each generation i breed.:)

My avatar fish is also from this line.

April
03-30-2008, 07:12 PM
gorgeous as usual. your just feeding our addictions with your beautiful fish.
sure..send them to me..im almost ready. lol.

zarmi
03-30-2008, 09:10 PM
I've heard a lot of locals praise Rod's red turqs. I can see why :)
Great fish Rod, still can't get over the size of your 6 month olds. amazing.

Green Country Discus
03-30-2008, 09:38 PM
As always Rod, you set the bar with your standards and quality! Hats off to the master Discus breeder down under ;)!!!

Discus-Hans
03-31-2008, 12:04 AM
Nice buddy, VERY NICE,

Hans

dpt8
03-31-2008, 06:59 AM
You make us drool with envy Rod. Such a beautiful pair.. Keep em going !! David

Rod
03-31-2008, 08:13 AM
Sometimes you just can't beat the classics ! love that male.

cheers

Thanks mate, hope i get a son as good from these guys. The old fella is just about due for retirement.

gorgeous as usual. your just feeding our addictions with your beautiful fish.
sure..send them to me..im almost ready. lol.

Thanks April. i might have a spare one or two lying around just for you.

I've heard a lot of locals praise Rod's red turqs. I can see why :)
Great fish Rod, still can't get over the size of your 6 month olds. amazing.

Thanks Mirza, lots of food and w/c mate. but i think home breds tend to grow bigger than imports on average.

As always Rod, you set the bar with your standards and quality! Hats off to the master Discus breeder down under ;)!!!

Thanks mate, appreciate those words from a fellow discus breeder with great fish.

Nice buddy, VERY NICE,

Hans

Thanks Hans...they must be ok if you are responding my friend.... I've gone over to the dark side lately breeding mainly the 'modern' varieties, but i will always have my favourite turks and brown types in a tank or 2 :D

You make us drool with envy Rod. Such a beautiful pair.. Keep em going !! David

Thanks David, getting old these days but still in pretty good condition i think. might try for 1 or 2 more spawns then time for a nice big roomy aquarium for retirement.

littlezebra
03-31-2008, 10:00 AM
Hi Eric, I buy my astaxanthin from this place http://www.advancedfoods.com.au/index.htm

Regarding pattern, the pattern is the same on the adults as the young if you compare age line photos. This line takes about 2.5 to 3 years to achieve full color.

Regarding shape, as the youngsters grow and develop they will get a much broader, rounder head along with other changes as the fish mature. In saying that i believe i picked out the nicest shaped ones for myself, hoping to be better and better each generation i breed.:)

My avatar fish is also from this line.

Hi Rod,

Thanks

What is age line photos??

You are among the best of home breeders. Keep on posted of the pics of your favorite fish.

Eric

Rod
04-03-2008, 04:42 AM
Thanks Eric,

All i mean by time line pics are photos used of similar aged discus from the same breeding line but in different generations.

Rod
05-24-2008, 08:57 AM
Heres a few pics a couple of months down the track. First 2 pics are the same fish, both sides. He is a male. The next 2 pics is a female, again both sides. She is prob my fav one among the group. I'm hoping they turn out to be a good breeder pair. :D Last pic is a cpl more siblings turning out ok i think.

Rod:)

kaceyo
05-24-2008, 11:22 AM
Very nice Rod. They have a distinctive look and I love th base color.

Kacey

Rod
05-26-2008, 04:22 PM
Very nice Rod. They have a distinctive look and I love th base color.

Kacey

Thanks Mate :)

digthemlows
05-26-2008, 11:48 PM
They are such beautiful fish, they look like a wild only much better! That base color is great, and the pattern is beautiful............I wish I had a few in my tank!

Condor
05-27-2008, 12:56 AM
Rod, those are very striking fish! I really like them. I think you should start exporting to the states.:D

Adrian

2075turner
05-27-2008, 01:39 AM
Ahhh, I see what the "little birdie" was saying about the beautiful turks that you have there Rod! Nice, very nice. When ready let me know, I'm sure that I can make some tank space!;) Evelyn:)

Rod
05-27-2008, 04:39 PM
They are such beautiful fish, they look like a wild only much better! That base color is great, and the pattern is beautiful............I wish I had a few in my tank!

Here's a cpl pics of the female with a mature royal blue male, i thought it might be interesting to compare colors. She was keen to breed but was butting heads with the available males in the growout tank, so i took her out and gave her to this nice gentle male to try. less than 24 hours later....eggs and so far the new pair are getting on great! :D

Rod, those are very striking fish! I really like them. I think you should start exporting to the states.:D

Thanks mate :)

Adrian

Ahhh, I see what the "little birdie" was saying about the beautiful turks that you have there Rod! Nice, very nice. When ready let me know, I'm sure that I can make some tank space!;) Evelyn:)

Thanks Evelyn, well i'll let you know if anything eventuates. Glad you like them. :)