PDA

View Full Version : New and have question about my Coralife UV Sterilizer

lonetraveler
03-27-2008, 12:21 AM
Hi,

I've been in the hobby for about 5-6 years. I have a 90 gal African Cichlid tank (Frontosa and Calvus) that has been running for couple years.

I'm new to the discus community and there are no discus in the tank yet, just tetras. But I have a question before I add the discus.

I have a 55 gallon tank with an Ehiem 2026 Pro II and I have a Coralife 3x-9watt uv sterilizer in line with the filter.

The Coralife has a flow rate of 100-200 gph (rated up to 125 gal.) and the Ehiem has a flow of 250 gph (rated up to 92 gal). Will the water get the proper UV exposure with this set up?

Thanks for your help.

Graham
03-27-2008, 05:01 PM
Hi, Considering that this is on an aquarium and won't have tons of critters coming at it and the filter is probably turning over an average of a 150gph which is better than a 3x turnover of a 55 in an hour...it should work fine

Keep in mind that UV bulbs are only good for about 9 to 12 months of continous use and then need to be replaced.............

Do you need it at all ???............. not in my opinion

Graham

Apistomaster
03-27-2008, 05:50 PM
For maximum effects from the UV unit a couple of "T"'s could be used to create a side loop. The flow through the side loop should be controlled with a ball valve. The slower the flow the higher the dwell time in the UV unit and it will increase it efficacy to it's full potential.

Graham
03-27-2008, 06:47 PM
But, but, but, :) ....if you increase the efficancy to the point where you get total kill with a single pass through the unit... then the bad guys are multilplying faster in the aquarium than the UV has a chance to kill them...they win...

Joking aside...wattage, flow/dwell time have to be weighed off against each other. The bacteria and parasites have to be killed off faster than they are reproducing in the tank.

If the wattage isn't high enough it won't matter how slows the water goes through the unit; it'll only kill minor things.

If the flow is too high then it doesn't matter what the wattage is; it'll only kill minor things

Balance

G

Brian Mc
03-27-2008, 07:47 PM
I thought he didn't need it, now it isn't effective enough? :D I would go with Larry's suggestion which is how Pedro Escobal advises as well in Aquatic Systems Engineering I believe.

Edit: Changed the guy's name, I said Pablo Escobar the first time LOL. :D

Graham
03-27-2008, 10:05 PM
A well balanced system. with good filtration, good water does not need a UV,

I've been keeping fish for 48 years...the only time I've ever used a UV was on my 5000 gal pond for green water and even then it only runs for about 1/2 the season...

Water quality is the key

G

Brian Mc
03-27-2008, 10:48 PM
If I was trying to hook up a UV I would probably listen to the guy that knew how to use one properly as opposed to the guy who doesn't use them, Larry's advice was correct IMO.

lonetraveler
03-27-2008, 11:09 PM
Thanks for the input guys!

This set up was recommended by sales guy at the Aquatics Warehouse and the Pet Kingdom both very reputable stores in the San Diego area.

I purchased the equipment from Big Al's for ALOT less than so I'm happy with it so far. Hopefully it is an efficient setup.

Brian Mc
03-27-2008, 11:11 PM
I think you'll be fine actually I do agree with Graham that you don't even need the thing lol. :D

Graham
03-28-2008, 07:33 AM
If I was trying to hook up a UV I would probably listen to the guy that knew how to use one properly as opposed to the guy who doesn't use them, Larry's advice was correct IMO.

FYI :) I have 2- 40watt Aqua UV's that I use for green water control on my pond. Same thing applies there..pump it through too fast and no control...too slow and the algae is producing faster than I'm killing it...............balance

G

dishpanhands
03-28-2008, 08:21 AM
you could always put a by-pass around the UV. This way you can control how much you let go to the uv and not slow down the filter...

Darrell Ward
03-29-2008, 12:13 AM
I would just forget about it. UV is not needed. I have 2 of those Coralife "Turbo-Twist" 36 watt units that have been in the garage over 2 years gathering dust. Biggest waste of money ever!

lonetraveler
03-29-2008, 04:41 AM
I would just forget about it. UV is not needed. I have 2 of those Coralife "Turbo-Twist" 36 watt units that have been in the garage over 2 years gathering dust. Biggest waste of money ever!

I can understand if you wouldn't make the purchase again. But what is it gonna hurt to use the UV Sterilizers?

Unless they cause problems it makes more sense to use them rather then just having them "gather dust". At less sell them so they don't take up space.

Apistomaster
03-29-2008, 10:17 AM
It does no harm to run the UV unit. It is just an expensive piece of equipment that has little value in a discus tank.

UV comes into it's own when you have multiple tanks on a central filter system and are turning fish over such as in a fish shop or wholesale installation. Then they become a necessity.
These are typically extremely large high power units. Your target then is 30,000 microwatts/cm2, at a minimum.

Darrell Ward
03-29-2008, 03:09 PM
It does no harm to run the UV unit. It is just an expensive piece of equipment that has little value in a discus tank.

UV comes into it's own when you have multiple tanks on a central filter system and are turning fish over such as in a fish shop or wholesale installation. Then they become a necessity.
These are typically extremely large high power units. Your target then is 30,000 microwatts/cm2, at a minimum.

Exactly. I did use them for close to a year. I have found them to be of little use on your average, well maintained tank. Certainly no harm in running one, it's just an unnecessary expense.