PDA

View Full Version : EHEIM canister filter biomedia

RockHound
03-27-2008, 04:58 AM
http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj85/placer_mines/eheimbiomediacopy.jpg

Anyone have anything good/bad to say about this, or the Eheim Pro biomedia.

Besides the fact it is expensive to purchase.

pcsb23
03-27-2008, 06:18 AM
Hi James,

I've regularly used this stuff and their substrat pro. Bother good products with the substrat pro being the better of the two ime. BUT both are frighteningly expensive as you rightly say. Good bio media.

RockHound
03-28-2008, 01:37 AM
Thanks for your opinion Paul.
Doesn't seem like many others have one.
Thats funny because so many swear by Eheim canister filters.

MSD
03-28-2008, 01:53 PM
I use it and its the best, if you buy the filter from Big Al's online they pack it with the pro media and its like $200 to $220 for the pro II models. The maintainence is so easy, the hoses lock at the filter and maintain syphon, and the motor clips on and off easily allowing easy and fast access to the media for pad changing and rinsing.

C_of_Discus
03-28-2008, 04:00 PM
I just bought one of the Pro's and they are great! Had Fluvals in the past and i think Eheim's are worth the extra $$

sophie68
03-28-2008, 05:52 PM
Hi there,
Have been using Eheim Pro substrat filter media ever since I started my discus tank, back in January 2007 and I love that stuff.... You don't need to change it as often as they tell you to. Way too expensive to do it that way!!!! It is so easy to rinse (just make sure you use dechlorinated water!!!!). I actually use all the media that Eheim suggests ( they have something that they call mechanical filtration but which really looks like another form of bio filtration called ehfi mech ) and I am very happy with it. But I never change it as often as they say. I should also say that I used to get occasional ammonia traces (just a tiny bit, so I would start doing WC like crazy) or sometimes some nitrites and since I have added sand, I don't have that problem at all. Strange?????!!!!! I think I was probably overfeeding when they were smaller. :p

Sophie

digthemlows
03-29-2008, 05:10 PM
I just bought a 2217 from Big Als that comes with the media, I'll let you know in a few weeks...........it's going to replace my Fluval 405. I'll be running a AC110, a Large Sponge filter, and the eheim 2217 on a 125 gallon.............

Bigsexybadguy
04-01-2008, 08:48 PM
Been using the Substrat for years, and could never think of using anything else.

After wasting time and money on other filters, I wish I had done things right from the start and went with the Eheim's. Would have saved me money over-all.

Hope this helps,

BSB

Cosmo
04-01-2008, 08:52 PM
Late to the game here, but.... The Ehfisubstrat is excellent bio media, either the original or the pro. Worth the mone IMO. If you want to get expensive, buy some cubed Cell Pore media... which is also excellent bio media ;)