PDA

View Full Version : My 300 Gallon. Planted but no discus yet.

calihawker
03-29-2008, 11:52 PM
Hello all!
Well, my tank was planted about 8 weeks ago and I thought I'd share my progress. This is my first planted tank and so far I'm very happy with the way things are going, the plants are growing well and my water change and auto dosing systems are fairly bullet proof. With the exception of some plumbing issues, the overall planning and implementation came off without a hitch. This tank was converted from a sps reef tank.

Right now the only fish inhabitants are 15 otto's, 10 sae's, and a clown loach. I'll be adding about 50 rummy nose next week and maybe about 4 weeks 20-25 discus (can't wait:D)

Tank details:
300 gallon Tenecor 96x30x24
400 watts PCF 12 hrs. 750 watts M.H. 4 hrs.
2 filstar xp3's 1 xp4
DIY co2 reactor inline with xp4
2 hydor inline 350 heaters
uv sterilizer
automated water change system
automated EI dosing

Plant list:

Rotala indica
Rotala wallichi
cryptocoryne balansae, lutea, red wendti
Anubius barteri
Anubius nana
Amazon swords
Ozelot swords
Aponogeton boivinianus
Dwarf hairgrass
Narrow leaf chain sword

One of the things that has made this project a lot easier is having tap water that is just about as soft as ro/di. The hardness is so low it's undetectable. I just run the tap water through a carbon filter to strip the chlorine(no chloromine:) so the auto water changes are a breeze. The auto dosing system consists of 5 gallon cornelius kegs pressurized with nitrogen, controlled with a solenoid and fine adjustment is made with a needle valve. There are 4 kegs for dosing gh booster, potassium nitrate, mono-potassium phosphate and csm+b. I know this can be done a whole lot cheaper, but this is stuff I had just laying around from years of brewing beer.

All lighting, co2, temperature, water change and dosing is controlled with an aquacontroller.

calihawker
03-29-2008, 11:54 PM
Here's some equipment pics.

harris611
03-30-2008, 12:19 AM
Holy cow! I love that tank...I have a 200 that I am starting that I purposely decided against live plants (small kids -- no time). It is making me green with envy:D

Good luck, and please keep posting progress. I too am in the process of converting from SPS and a freak-show planted is my end game. I just have to wait a couple years, so I need to live vicariously for a while.

Nice job so far...

Diamond Discus
03-30-2008, 07:07 AM
The tank looks great! The equipment........blows my mind! I wish I had the understanding and knowledge of how to set up something like that for my planted tanks. I'm a low light low tech kinda gal. How did you learn to do this?

pcsb23
03-30-2008, 07:48 AM
Glad to see this happening :D Tank looks excellent.

fwiw I'd add two or three more clowns, they do better in groups, one on it's own can be troublesome.

fishmama
03-30-2008, 10:25 AM
Wow, wow and WOW!!!! Can't wait to see the discus in there...beautiful setup:)

AmberC
03-30-2008, 11:00 AM
Very pretty! I cant wait to see it with discus :D

Amber

GottaBeKiN
03-30-2008, 11:19 AM
I would love to do a in-wall tank like that one day, beautiful.

calihawker
03-30-2008, 11:20 AM
Thanks for the kind words!

Paul. Yes, troublesome indeed. I put him in there to take care of a snail problem which he did in short order. Now he has a habit of uprooting my R. wallichi. Instead of adding a few more, he's on his way out.

Stve

pcsb23
03-30-2008, 05:03 PM
Instead of adding a few more, he's on his way out.hehe, yep that's the other option :D

YSS
03-30-2008, 05:36 PM
Good luck catching the clown. I will be very interested in knowing how you are planning on catching him. :D I have a 265G which is 1 foot shorter than your tank. Impossible to catch any fish without draining 3/4 of the tank. Anyhow, great looking tank! Love to see the pics with discus in them. I currently have 15 in mine and I love it.

calihawker
03-30-2008, 07:25 PM
dntx5b9, I'd love to see your tank! Are there pics somewhere?

Catching that guy will be a piece of cake. I've caught very difficult fish when it was a reef and nothing in the tank was moveable and everything was breakable! All it takes is a plexiglass fish trap. Cut off the feeding for a day or 2 and load the trap with his favorite munchies. No more clown loach.:thumbsup:

Steve

Apistomaster
03-30-2008, 08:53 PM
Incredible, technical, big green pleasure machine.
Combining the skills and equipment of a reefer and a brewer is a place few have gone to before.
I believe I became a better aquarist by being a reefer but I just couldn't believe the way a big reef tank sucks up money. I managed to have Flame Angels, yellow tail blue damsels and Mandarins spawn regularly in the reef tank. It's a shame it takes a laboratory to raise any larvae.

I wouldn't try keeping 30 discus in it. 20 would be a better number. High tech planted tanks run much smoother if you don't overload them with fish and those discus would grow very large. The tank wouldn't look empty.

Organic Farmer
03-30-2008, 08:56 PM
Excellent piece of living art,good luck in the future.

calihawker
03-30-2008, 10:15 PM
... I just couldn't believe the way a big reef tank sucks up money.

Ain't that the TRUTH!!!

GottaBeKiN
03-30-2008, 10:37 PM
Incredible, technical, big green pleasure machine.
I just couldn't believe the way a big reef tank sucks up money.

Only when I thought Discus is taking up a lot of my money, I guess a reef tank would cost much much more.

YSS
03-30-2008, 10:39 PM
Mine is no where as near as nice as yours. But here is the pic I took a few weeks ago.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y36/yunssong/265new.jpg

calihawker
03-30-2008, 11:36 PM
That's a really nice tank! Great job!
I've been of a mind to have only one species of discus. My wife likes the rainbow school:argue:. Your tank is making me change my mind a little. Very cool combo.

Have you had any problems with your discus injuring themselves on the rocks? I had originally built a large structure on one side of my tank, it looked awesome but after reading many comments on this forum and others, I decided to tear it out. I love the look of rocks in an aquarium.

Steve

pcsb23
03-31-2008, 07:55 AM
I love the look of rocks in an aquarium.That's 'cos your an ex-reefer ;) If you use rocks with smooth (ish) surfaces you should be fine ime.

GrillMaster
03-31-2008, 02:37 PM
That is an incredible looking tank Steve!! Looks like it was made for that room its in.. Cant get a better atmosphere than that...Kudos to you! :)

tc
Mark

born2lovefish
03-31-2008, 10:46 PM
Amazing tank! If you get some discus in there and some other fish, you could take a picture and enter it in the international planted contest I saw in Tropical Fish Hobbist in the May issue.

calihawker
03-31-2008, 10:51 PM
Thanks Mark. The tank was definatley to be the focal point in the room, reef tank at the time. The thing I didn't foresee with the planted tank is how well the deep green of the plants accentuates the beautiful oak finish of the bar. If I had to do it all over again I would have never done the reef. I really like it that much.

GrillMaster
04-01-2008, 12:49 PM
I envisioned the reef behind the bar and in my mind saw it being to bright of an atmosphere in your setting. The tank now would be a place I would immediately take anyone for an extended period of time to sit in front of. I would find myself sitting in front of that tank for a long time!

Discus will be the ultimate accent to that gorgeous room!

It is very inspirational to me and would love to do something similar in the future. :)

tc
Mark

happygirl65
04-09-2008, 10:53 AM
Your tank is the stuff dreams are made of. :)

AADiscus
04-09-2008, 07:50 PM
Your tank looks really nice. We just ventured into the planted tank stuff and are having so much fun with it. It is like doing yard work though. Always pruning, etc. lol Have fun with it and keep us posted.

geleen
04-10-2008, 08:24 AM
sigh sigh sigh I am jealous.:):):)
J

calihawker
04-12-2008, 12:43 PM
I added 75 harlequin rasbora's the other day:D They look great, nice big school. I tried taking some picture but I can't figure out how to set the camera speed for action, the little guys move way to fast.

Steve

russianmd
04-12-2008, 02:48 PM
I would so have a drink at that bar!

Nanu
04-12-2008, 02:52 PM
Hello,
You tank is inspirational half way across the world.
It is a delicate balance of Science and Art, just perfect.
Good luck for the future, and would love to see it with the discus...
Which discus are you looking at..? just to imagine..
Thanks fo sharing...

calihawker
04-14-2008, 03:25 PM
I would so have a drink at that bar!

Fresh homebrew and only the finest tequila served here:thumbsup:

Thanks Nanu,
I just placed my order for discus it will include 10 leopard-snakeskins, 8 blue turquoise, 3 pigeon blood, 2 red melons and 2 goldens.
I'm in the process of setting up a tank for them to grow out in. Can't wait!!!

Steve

Elite Aquaria
04-24-2008, 12:14 AM
That is an awesome looking tank...I wish I could convince the wife to allow a jumbo planted tank like that in our house...maybe next year...

BSW
04-24-2008, 08:17 AM
That is absolutely gorgous !!!
I would LOVE to do that someday, as I'm sure everyone else would love to also !!!!
Great job, it looks fantastic. Must of really soaked up the bucks !
But it sure turned out to be worth it !
B

2075turner
04-24-2008, 02:54 PM
Wow this tank blows me away. LOVE IT! LOVE IT! LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Be sure to post the pics when you have the discus in it! Thanks.:)

Bigsexybadguy
04-24-2008, 10:27 PM
Meh, if mind-blowing, incredible, beautiful pieces of nature combined with ingenuity float your boat than this is the Queen Anne.

:)

Got the script handy that you used on your spouse to get them to agree with this? I'll pay cash, and I'll pay large!

All the best, and please keep the pics coming.

Regards,

BSB

madfish
04-25-2008, 11:46 AM
[QUOTE=calihawker;450046]Fresh homebrew and only the finest tequila served here:thumbsup:

Im on my way over to have a brew and to watch some fish. That is a great tank you got going there. Thats I have a fully planted tank with some discus in it and it has become a jungle the last few weeks because I have been kind of lazy. I might clean it up today but who knows. Best of luck with you tank.

calihawker
04-25-2008, 08:48 PM
Thanks a bunch for the kind words everyone:) Iv'e been struggling a bit with the whole planted thing but it looks like my fertilizing schedule is on track now. I wanted to make sure that part of the project was dialed before I put discus in there.

The rasboras are doing great. Looks like only a couple out of the original 75 didn't make it. I had to put my discus order on hold for a few weeks but the grow out tank is ready to go.

I'll get some more pics up soon!!

Steve

sledge760
07-10-2008, 10:56 AM
The equipment looks like my old reef tank set up.

KimR
07-13-2008, 06:14 PM
beautiful tank! do you have your discus now? pics?

Xenomorph
07-13-2008, 08:39 PM
OK, where's the new pics?

Frankr409
07-18-2008, 10:06 PM
What an amazingly beautiful tank. There are going to be some happy discus in there!

Sadly I lost my tank and just about everything else I once owned to a horrible divorce about 4 years ago, but I am looking forward to starting up a new plant and discus tank in the 180 - 200 gallon range over the course of the next 6 months.

I think I'll post these pictures as inspiration.

Apistomaster
07-19-2008, 08:28 AM
Frank,
I can relate to your post.
I lost my 125 reef tank as a result of divorce.
The one that really PMP, was when I broke thing off with a ex-girl friend and her parting shot was to squeeze DAWN dish washing soap in a smaller reef I had after starting over. Poor animals never did any harm.

Frankr409
07-19-2008, 05:22 PM
[QUOTE=Apistomaster;463170]Frank,
I can relate to your post.
I lost my 125 reef tank as a result of divorce.
The one that really PMP, was when I broke thing off with a ex-girl friend and her parting shot was to squeeze DAWN dish washing soap in a smaller reef I had after starting over. Poor animals never did any harm.[/QUOTE

Misery loves company, Apisto... Sorry that it happened to you too. I'm enjoying the process of putting everything back together for myself, built a beautiful house, gardens, and now I am getting aquariums back. Life is good. I have found that the key to future happiness is to swear off women. :D

Kindredspirit
07-19-2008, 06:29 PM
I have found that the key to future happiness is to swear off women. :D

uh huh. Sure:D

Frankr409
07-19-2008, 10:31 PM
uh huh. Sure:D

I figure if I tell myself that enough, that some day I might believe it too! ;)

calihawker
07-20-2008, 02:53 AM
I'm reding these posts on my phone so i cant respond the way I woud like. sorry. I havnt been able to work on my tank as I have been on the road nd will be out for a while longer. i'll be getting discus as soon as i get back.

trust me frank. the right girl is out there. if i can find one anyone can!! my wife is taking car of my tank while im gone plus 5 dogs 6 cats 9 goats 2 hawks and a couplle teenage boys!

cant wait to get home!

rickztahone
07-28-2009, 02:45 AM
aight Steve, we need an update on this monster! is it still up and running? still fully planted? do you have the discus in there now? pictures would be great. when can i go have a brew at your place? ;)

calihawker
07-29-2009, 01:27 AM
aight Steve, we need an update on this monster! is it still up and running? still fully planted? do you have the discus in there now? pictures would be great. when can i go have a brew at your place? ;)

Hey man, I'm only an 8 hrs. north and the belgian ale is worth the drive.;)

I've been neglecting my planted tank unfortunately. Not the fish or feeding or anything like that but I put the plants in sort of a no growth period for now. I backed off the lights, ferts and c02. Yesterday I pruned and replanted some stuff for the first time in over a month. I have anubius nana that was just a long hanging rhizome with tons of leaves and I cut it and placed it on the bottom trying to get a carpet affect. Other then that I haven't done anything with the plants.

The fish are great. 11 leopard snakeskins, or whatever they are, all fat and sassy. I have one that was sick and quarantined for a time and she never got the growth back or the colors but she looks all right in there.

I lose a rasbora or a cardinal tetra every now and then so the population has thinned in the last year. I was thinking of adding a school of rummys soon.

Here's some pics I took today.

http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/rr356/calihawker/Fish/DSC01455.jpg

http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/rr356/calihawker/Fish/DSC01451.jpg

http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/rr356/calihawker/Fish/DSC01454.jpg

http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/rr356/calihawker/Fish/DSC01461.jpg

http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/rr356/calihawker/Fish/DSC01463.jpg

erikc
07-29-2009, 08:31 AM
Phewww Steve, now that's what I call a discus tank. Gorgeous.

Right, that's it , next time I'm going planted. I'll blame it all on you :D

Disgirl
07-29-2009, 09:41 AM
Oh my heavens! That is one beautiful tank Steve! Hard to believe the plants have been "neglected" for a month. That is a tank for us all to want to copy :D. How often do you do wc's on that huge tank and how much at a time?
Barb:)

calihawker
07-29-2009, 11:28 AM
Phewww Steve, now that's what I call a discus tank. Gorgeous.

Right, that's it , next time I'm going planted. I'll blame it all on you :D

Merci beaucoup Erik!

Oh my heavens! That is one beautiful tank Steve! Hard to believe the plants have been "neglected" for a month. That is a tank for us all to want to copy . How often do you do wc's on that huge tank and how much at a time?
Barb

Thanks Barb. I do 50% w/c per week. Sometimes I miss and will go 10 days or so without a problem.

Scribbles
07-29-2009, 11:30 AM
Absolutely incredible Steve! Must have been a lot of work but the end result is spectacular. Thanks for sharing.

Chris

Eddie
07-29-2009, 12:08 PM
Woohoo Steve, just got glimpse of this post. I can remember when those discus were little! They are all big and beautiful! That tank is amazing!

Take care!

Eddie

rickztahone
07-29-2009, 01:22 PM
that's gorgeous Steve. will your albinos make their way in there later down the line?

calihawker
07-29-2009, 04:29 PM
Absolutely incredible Steve! Must have been a lot of work but the end result is spectacular. Thanks for sharing.

Chris

Thanks Chris! Yeah it was a lot of work up front but there's not much to do now except enjoy it.;)

Woohoo Steve, just got glimpse of this post. I can remember when those discus were little! They are all big and beautiful! That tank is amazing!

Take care!

Eddie

Yeah they got pretty big but knowing what I know now with the contest fish, I think I could have grown them bigger:o

that's gorgeous Steve. will your albinos make their way in there later down the line?

Thanks Rick! I think at least a few of them will call that home.:)

YSS
07-29-2009, 07:54 PM
Sweet Jesus!!! That's one nice looking tank. I need to get rid of my hodge podge collection of discus and get one or two strains. Well done my friend!!!

calihawker
07-29-2009, 09:20 PM
Sweet Jesus!!! That's one nice looking tank. I need to get rid of my hodge podge collection of discus and get one or two strains. Well done my friend!!!

Thanks for the compliment! Actually the one strain school was suggested by the lfs friend that got me the fish. He's a purest and tried to get me to go with wilds, but having been on this forum long enough, I have grown to really like the rainbow look or hodge podge as you put it. I think I'll end up with something in the middle. I'll be thinning out this group and some of the contest golden albinos will go in there and then I think a group of either red marlboros or checker board pigeons as another group. I don't think I would put less than 4 of the same strain.:)

rickztahone
11-17-2015, 06:53 PM
Chad, I was digging through old threads and came across this bad boy! :)

I remember this from when I started here, and wanted to share it for others that may have never seen this thread.

Enjoy everyone.

ericNH
11-17-2015, 09:09 PM
I'm glad you bumped this. Unbelievable tank - and the equipment... "Sweet Jesus" indeed! I wonder what it looks like today?

Jack L
11-17-2015, 09:57 PM
never saw it, nice bump.

lots of tech. i'd like to to see a monster "low" tech though.

Filip
11-18-2015, 02:52 AM
Wow, that's a jaw dropping discus aquascape. TFS Rick.
I only see the last page pics via my mobile,but I can only imagine it was much nicer on the first pics running high tech.
Well done.

Filip
11-18-2015, 02:55 AM
never saw it, nice bump.

lots of tech. i'd like to to see a monster "low" tech though.

It is a monster low tech. Last pics are without Co2, ferts and with half of potential lightning.
It's a dream come true IMO.

rickztahone
11-18-2015, 09:20 PM
If I remember correctly, Chad this tank down :(. I believe I am remembering that right, but I could be mistaking. Either way, I remember reading this thread so many years ago and being inspired to one day start my own fully planted tank with a 240g tank. It is still my dream, and if I ever get a house that has that perfect wall with a utility closet behind it, you'd better believe that is exactly what is going in there :)

Jack L
11-18-2015, 10:18 PM
It is a monster low tech. Last pics are without Co2, ferts and with half of potential lightning.
It's a dream come true IMO.

it is a awesome tank, but turning off co2 to create a no growth period....that isn't low tech IMO.

Filip
11-19-2015, 07:53 AM
it is a awesome tank, but turning off co2 to create a no growth period....that isn't low tech IMO.

High light,Co2, ferts = high tech planted
Low light,no Co2 and no ferts= low tech planted.

Last pics are low tech,as stated in previous posts from the owner.

jdhuyvetter
11-19-2015, 08:06 AM
I don't get this high tech vs low tech. What defines high tech lights vs low tech lights? PAR? Watts per gallon? Fixture type? If I don't use CO2 but still dose with organic carbon, does that make it high or low?

So what would you consider, natural sunlight, no CO2 and using ferts?

Filip
11-19-2015, 11:01 AM
I don't get this high tech vs low tech. What defines high tech lights vs low tech lights? PAR? Watts per gallon? Fixture type? If I don't use CO2 but still dose with organic carbon, does that make it high or low?

So what would you consider, natural sunlight, no CO2 and using ferts?

In general, light is the base that dictates everything else in planted tanks.
The
So in general, high intensity light in conjunction with presurized co2 and regular fertilisation is referred as high tech planted tank.
In this fast changing environment plants grow 10 times faster than low techs,and usually there are much more diverse, demanding and delicate plants keept e.g.-Dutch style tanks.

Low tech is referred as the opposite.
Slow growing environment with old school-easy and undemanding plants again dictated by lower light source as the base for everything else e.g.natural scapes.

Par,Pur,Wpg,lumens, are just different measures of light intensity.
I don't think that there is any strict concensus and numbers about this, but again in general, high techs are tanks with more than 3 wpg,and low techs are half that range.

Sooo... with all that said above i would name your tank atypical tech tank :).

jdhuyvetter
11-19-2015, 02:08 PM
gotta love it. I just converted this tank from a SPS reef tank. So to me, this is easy maintenance and low tech. No reactors, no skimmers, no chillers, etc.

As for my tank....I like it, the Atypical Tech Plant Tank. Should we add ATPT to the list?

Filip
11-19-2015, 08:13 PM
gotta love it. I just converted this tank from a SPS reef tank. So to me, this is easy maintenance and low tech. No reactors, no skimmers, no chillers, etc.

As for my tank....I like it, the Atypical Tech Plant Tank. Should we add ATPT to the list?

ATPT should definitely be added as a new type of Discus planted tank LOL. :)

Jack L
11-20-2015, 12:57 AM
High light,Co2, ferts = high tech planted
Low light,no Co2 and no ferts= low tech planted.

Last pics are low tech,as stated in previous posts from the owner.

i think i was biased after post #2, that many tanks, pc monitor, MH and FL lights...whatever else was going on was NOT low tech...makes it high tech even if turned off for a month ; )

Jack L
11-20-2015, 01:00 AM
In general, light is the base that dictates everything else in planted tanks.
The
So in general, high intensity light in conjunction with presurized co2 and regular fertilisation is referred as high tech planted tank.
In this fast changing environment plants grow 10 times faster than low techs,and usually there are much more diverse, demanding and delicate plants keept e.g.-Dutch style tanks.

Low tech is referred as the opposite.
Slow growing environment with old school-easy and undemanding plants again dictated by lower light source as the base for everything else e.g.natural scapes.

Par,Pur,Wpg,lumens, are just different measures of light intensity.
I don't think that there is any strict concensus and numbers about this, but again in general, high techs are tanks with more than 3 wpg,and low techs are half that range.

Sooo... with all that said above i would name your tank atypical tech tank :).

for me, as soon as someone does C02, its not low tech anymore.

Filip
11-20-2015, 05:09 AM
for me, as soon as someone does C02, its not low tech anymore.

That would be a fair assumption, since there are no stone-carved rules about where one stops and the other starts.

The funny thing about all this is that the term Tech here doesn't apply much on technology ang gadgets used but rather on the types of plants keept and the approach of keeping them.

FischAutoTechGarten
11-20-2015, 01:41 PM
I don't think there is a single fishkeeper amongst us who isn't completely jealous of that setup!! Just love it!!

Filip
11-20-2015, 04:18 PM
I don't think there is a single fishkeeper amongst us who isn't completely jealous of that setup!! Just love it!!

Totally agree.
And that includes the BB Crowd also :)