PDA

View Full Version : Help! Temperature on the fritz!

jasa73
03-31-2008, 10:47 AM
Hi - I've fairly new to keeping discus (since July of 2007) and have not had any issues up until now. Suddenly, my school of cardinals all died as well as both of my albino bristlenose plecos. This occurred following a routine water change so all i could think of was i did something wrong or different from my usual water changes. :confused:

My filter is an Eheim Professional II 2126 with an integrated heater and lo and behold, the thermometer that regulates the temperature isnt working properly. Even when i take the probe out of the water, it still reads the same temperature.

I put in another thermometer and its reading 91 degrees...which i know is the high end of tolerence for discus. Eheim is in the process of sending me another temperature regulator but my question is, will this temperature be ok till the end of the week or should i shut my filter down, set up another filter and put in a different heater? My guess is that the discus have been at this temp for a week now.

pcsb23
03-31-2008, 10:54 AM
It seems the thermo pro models are prone to the regulator failing. Sadly it seems to fail on, which has to be one of the worst bits of design I can think of. It happened on mine too, but mine went to 97f (36C). Fortunately no deaths as I caught it soon enough.

I converted mine to use an external temperature controller.

I'm guessing there is a seperate power lead for the heater side, I would un plug this and use a standard aquarium heater until the replacement part arrives.

judy
03-31-2008, 12:34 PM
The temp did in the cardinals and plecos. Way too high for them to survive...

Apistomaster
04-03-2008, 01:19 PM
Disable the heater if possible and buy a separate one. I avoid any device that tries to do too many things at once. I haven't found any product that is any good like that. TV w/DVD, filters w/ heaters and so on.