PDA

View Full Version : Red worms in gravel

kdazzel
03-31-2008, 11:03 PM
Help!

I was vacuuming and I noticed there is red worms in the gravel?
Anybody know what that is?
Should I start my discus on treatment?
Thanks

MostlyDiscus
03-31-2008, 11:39 PM
Never seen red worm b4. Do you feed live food? Are you fish showing any signs of stress? Most times you get white bristle worms from excess food/protein in the water. Try to identify what kind of worm it is first b4 you treat. I dont do gravel in my tanks so it is hard to tell you how to rid gravel inbedded worms. GL with it. Ed

kdazzel
03-31-2008, 11:49 PM
no I don't feed live food, just frozen brine shrimp

MostlyDiscus
04-01-2008, 12:46 AM
The worms feed on something then. Waste or excess food, so cutting back on either should solve your problem. The fish showing any stess ie turning dark or hiding?

pcsb23
04-01-2008, 06:40 AM
It's possible that the red worms are midge fly larvae. If so they will be a good source of food :)

Don Trinko
04-01-2008, 08:26 AM
I also have these worms in the gravel on several tanks. In one tank the discus follow the syphon when I vacumn the gravel and eat the worms that I stir up. I have also filtered them out and poured them back in the tank and the fish go nuts eating them.
In my case I have fed CBW live and the only tanks I have found the red worms in are the tanks that I fed live worms in.
The red worms look like the CBW except that they are red. Don T.

MostlyDiscus
04-01-2008, 09:09 AM
Nice Don, As far as worms are concerned, if you can see them then so can the discus. (lunch);) I try not to use chemicals if I dont need to. Salt is the preferred method of control.