PDA

View Full Version : game-playing slackers

judy
04-01-2008, 01:30 PM
So the turq pair in the breeding tank spawned twice, female ate eggs immediately, then they went back to being Just Friends.
Meanwhile the young red melons in the main tank have been trying to get it right, and the last batch they actually managed a dozen wigglers before the rest of the eggs went fungus.
So I put the melons in the breeding tank and the slackers back in the main tank.
Whereupon the slackers went and found the magnetic algae cleaner block they had previously used, and-- yup-- spawned. Almost instantly. I left a light on overnight and the eggs have not yet been eaten.
The red melons, meanwhile, have gone platonic for the moment.

A question: all parameters are the same in both tanks but for Ph which is 6.8 in the main tank and 7.0 in the breeder, and Kh which is 4 in the main and 3 in the breeder.
Would that be a factor? :confused:

Polar_Bear
04-01-2008, 04:06 PM
Probably not. Some pairs just don't like to be moved, and some like to be back home...
We have discus that will spawn anywhere, and others, that when moved refuse to spawn for weeks. Just like people, different pairs act differently.

tedsdiscus
04-01-2008, 05:55 PM
I second that. Plus, sometimes they really have a favorite spawning surface, or something they are used to, and they just like it. It doesn't mean you can't break them out of it though. I've found that if you keep them in a breeding tank long enough, and they are already a pair, eventually they'll go at it again.

Good luck,

Ted

judy
04-01-2008, 06:17 PM
well, the red melons are happily cleaning off their cone in the breeding tank, and the turqs have not yet eaten the eggs on their beloved magnetic algae cleaner (really, there's a cone at the other end, guys., you coulda used that...) , so things may be looking up... sort of. I don't know how the turqs would be able to raise fry in the main tank. I'm not turning off any filters for them --though I do have pre-filter sponges everywhere and there's plenty of greenery and room at the end of the tank they've staked out.

tedsdiscus
04-01-2008, 08:10 PM
I'm sorry to say Judy, but the turqs in the main tank don't really have any chance of survival. You could leave them and see if you actually get wigglers though. That will at least tell you that you have a confirmed pair.
As for the melons, there's nothing wrong with the magnetic tank cleaner. Unless it's something scientific with the magnet that might hurt them, but I strongly doubt it. Maybe after this batch, just remove the cleaner, they'll find the cone soon enough.

Good luck,

Ted

judy
04-01-2008, 09:21 PM
no, its the turqs on the magnetic cleaner, and I know they're a pair-- they had about fifteen spawns now and at least two made it to "oh look tiny black eyeball dot" stage before ma chowed down on them. I suspect some nibbling's happened already-- there;s a little bare spot in the middle of the clutch of eggs that was not there last ngiht, I;m sure.
the red melons I know are also a pair-- they're in the breeding tank, and the little darlings are even as I write still tidying up their cone and doing their I-love-you fin-shimmy dance. Their last spawn in the main tank yielded their first wigglers-- about a dozen. But most of the eggs didn't catch. I thnk the young male's just about ready to get it right, which is why I moved them into the breeder.
If I get babies, I want them more from the red melons (which are very well-shaped) than from the turqs (which are so-so, especially the female) anyway-- but I can always go get another breeding tank-- and watch spouse roll his eyes heavenward in dismay... then mutter things about multiple power outlets and corcuit overloads...

judy
04-02-2008, 10:25 AM
yup, the turq female ate' em all overnight. slackers!

tedsdiscus
04-02-2008, 11:55 AM
Hi Judy,
Maybe try a breeding mesh for your reds. If they've tried 15 times, and haven't succeeded, you might want to help them out. In my experience, once there are a bunch of wigglers, they tend to have less tendency to eat them. At least that is how it is with my pairs. If you need some pix of mesh and how to make them, please let me know.

Ted

judy
04-02-2008, 12:05 PM
I do have a mesh for the cone, but I'd love to see pics and how-to from you, because mine's pretty sad (I took a plastic crocheting sheet and cut out bits of plastic to make the square holes in it bigger). I'm taking out that darn algae cleaner and hoping the turqs go for the cone next-- that I can protect!
Mind you, they had previously spawned on driftwood and the glass. These two are just impossible! But that's why they're back in the main tank.
The reds in the breeding tank are going to be much better parents, I think.