PDA

View Full Version : Spine showing

Innivus
04-03-2008, 12:45 AM
title basically says it all. I'm just getting through a rough patch w/flukes (and then a fungal infection immediately afterward). All fish seem to be better now, eating, etc, except one, who really hasn't touched much food over the past week or so. It had what appeared to be an inflamed spine....and then today I saw that basically what looks like its spine broke through its skin.

Has anyone had something like this before? I'll try to get some pics tomorrow.

Innivus
04-03-2008, 03:29 PM
here's a picture of the bone piece sticking up. Sorry for the kinda crappy pic. I'm treating with metro/prazi as I think it might be an internal parasite...or a tumor, and no real solution for that, huh?

pcsb23
04-03-2008, 04:38 PM
Sorry, can't tell much from that pic. I think if the spine were showingthrough the skin the fish would be dead, so I'd say it was something else. Sometimes they get too far to save.

Tropical Haven
04-03-2008, 04:40 PM
Is this one of the spines from the dorsal fin?

Graham
04-03-2008, 06:45 PM
I think that you've got it Scott...nothing more than one of the hard dorsal rays. May have a bit of bacterial infection but hard to tell from that pic

Prazi is only good for flukes and a cou[ple of worms. The metro is good only for Hexamita....anything else and these meds are useless.

What makes you think it's a tumor???

BTW the spine of the fish is about 1/3 down the body just above the lateral line

Graham

Innivus
04-07-2008, 01:19 PM
Sorry guys I couldn't get a better photo...camera doesn't take great pics. The fish is still going, but not eating much. The 'white marks' are now sticking out both sides of the fish, at the base where the front of the dorsal fin connects to the main body. I agree with you Paul; if it were the spine the discus would be dead. And Graham, thanks for the info about the spine. Though the only reason I think it is a tumor is because the immediate area grew bigger for a few weeks beforehand, became swelled.

Thanks for the responses and I'll try my best to keep people posted.

pcsb23
04-07-2008, 04:54 PM
As hard as it is it may be better to euthanise this fish. Better for it not to suffer and not worth the risk to your other stock.