PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!eggs of wild with fungus

vera
04-04-2008, 08:03 AM
My wild blue uatuma male and thai bred brown fem laid eggs 3 times and everytime eggs will be full of fungus on day 3(on day 2 90% eggs darker in color as if everything is ok) and there will be only 8-10 fry going in to free swimming,when she mated with domestics all eggs were fertilised
my water has ph 6.8 ,T28
do they need some dif conditions or shell i treat eggs with some meds
share with me yr experience or advice
thanx a lot

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o192/vera80/bluebrown002.jpg

tedsdiscus
04-04-2008, 11:53 AM
Hi Vera,
first of all, how old is your male, he might just be a little young or inexperienced. If you've already seen wigglers from them, that's great. Maybe he just needs a little time.
If you feel that alot of the eggs are fertile but are getting killed by the fungused eggs, I would recommend using formalin. I usually add it a few hours after they are completely done spawning. I repeat formalin for the first three days. after the wigglers are strongly wiggling, I stop formalin.

Hope this helps.

Ted

vera
04-04-2008, 12:33 PM
Hi Ted
i have no idea how old male is maybe someone can spot his age
how much formalin do u dose for 10 gal do u think acriflavin will do a trick?
thank u

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o192/vera80/DSCF3382.jpg

tedsdiscus
04-04-2008, 12:46 PM
Hi Vera,

I've only used formalin, so I couldn't give you an answer. As for the age, I don't think looking at a picture is possible.
Foralin dosage is 1 tsp for 10g.

Good luck,

Ted

PS that is one HANDSOME fella.

vera
04-04-2008, 03:04 PM
thank u Ted:)

ihavefishwantmore
04-05-2008, 02:01 AM
Just be patient. This is often the rule with discus breeding problems. Just because the eggs seem to darken does not mean they are fertile. If you are getting some wrigglers just give them more time and they will probably figure it out.

tdr1919
04-05-2008, 02:05 AM
I have used copper power green for fungus problems on the eggs, worked fine eggs hatched fine.

Tom

discus_boy
04-05-2008, 05:24 AM
i have never seen discus lay eggs on the floor of the tank. maybe the eggs get fungus from them being on the ground and the effluent from the parents that is on the floor to develop fungi and the fungi moves over to the eggs. Do you have a cone for them to lay on. I usually put methylene blue in that works good for me as well. it acts as a shader so the no light can be absorbed by the fungi in the water. I also turn the lights off as fungi need light to grow.

vera
04-05-2008, 06:40 AM
Thank u all for yr replays:)
they laid eggs on cone the result was the same(fungus allover)..when this female mated with domestic males all eggs were fertilised(+-3)
so i was thinking that wild blue needs some diferent water chemistry to fertilise all the eggs...
i have dimed light over their tank and water param as all other breeders -nothing dif

ihavefishwantmore
04-05-2008, 06:45 PM
I really don't think your water chemistry is the problem(unless it is very extreem). As long as you keep your water clean you should get eggs to hatch. It is more likely a problem with the fish. Just give them time. I have had males take many times before they got it right. Try watching them next time they look like they are going to breed(Females breeding tube extended, and they will start cleaning a surface and doing dry runs), you may be able to see what they are doing wrong.

G550
04-05-2008, 11:23 PM
is that formalin 3 or straight formalin tsp in 10 gallons of straight formalin is a leathal.

vera
04-06-2008, 11:00 AM
They are shaking heads so today after eggs are laid im going to add White spot remedy(malachite green +formalin) to c if it helps..
thank u all for yr suggestions:)

tedsdiscus
04-06-2008, 12:03 PM
it's fomalin.3.
sorry i did not add the 3.

Ted