PDA

View Full Version : Adding Salt

steve.ryall
04-06-2008, 12:34 PM
I have been reading in another forum, where the first thing that is recommended is to add salt to the breeding tank to make the parents produce more slime to attract the free swimmers.
Who else would recommend this?? I certainly wouldn't.

Thoughts appreciated

Graham
04-06-2008, 03:02 PM
Adding an irritant to force the fish to produce more mucus at a time when they should be producing lots anyway doesn't make a lot of sense to me:bandana:

G

steve.ryall
04-06-2008, 03:36 PM
Exactly my thoughts Graham, but seems to be a common advised thing where I looked!!!

thanks

Graham
04-06-2008, 03:47 PM
Steve there's so much BS out there, that all too often, is taken as gospel that it's scary.

Anytime something doesn't make a lot of sense then every hobbyist should check it out

G

steve.ryall
04-06-2008, 04:07 PM
I totally agree

ShinShin
04-13-2008, 07:51 PM
Steve,

If you read any forum, this one included, topics are "parroted" by many who have no idea what they are talking about, but read something somewhere and now it is THEIR gospel. I have never had a problem with discus producing slime to tend their young. Salt is the most misused product in the discusroom, yet, here on this forum especially, people use it for all sorts of malady cures, most of which, if carefully thought out, makes absolutely no sense at all. Wattley states, and I agree, that salt has no place in the discusroom's medical chest except if used as a short term dip.

Mat