PDA

View Full Version : Deformed discus hassled

crystalview
04-07-2008, 11:45 PM
I have four 3" juvi discus that I rescued. Three can together and the other is a bait and switch fish. The three are always poking at the smaller one and he hides by himself. I have had the three for 3wks and the other for 5weeks. I moved them to a 45g and I thought they all would stop hiding. No such luck. Two of the fish are always together and poke at the third. I heard they need to be in schools. So that is why I rescued the 3. I thought they might be ok in the 45g since there are only four. But is there problem to small of a tank? They eat like pigs and have grown and there color is better. Water change 25% daily. Not sure what I should do for them. Or they just still finding their pecking order?

Don Trinko
04-08-2008, 06:24 PM
I don't think the tank size is a problem.
Discus are chicklids and they do establish a pecking order.
Some suggest 5 or more fish, This may work but... there is always a last fish in the pecking order. In some cases this is only noticable at feeding time but in other cases the other fish will all chase the last fish relentlesly .
Sometimes removing the #1 and #2 fish for a week or so will help. You can also put a temporary seperator in the tank and put them in "time out" for a while. Rearanging the decorations during this time out sometimes helps.
Don T.

crystalview
04-08-2008, 09:47 PM
Thanks Don. I hope they work this out.

Some suggest 5 or more fish, This may work but... there is always a last fish in the pecking order. In some cases this is only noticable at feeding time but in other cases the other fish will all chase the last fish relentlesly .
Sometimes removing the #1 and #2 fish for a week or so will help. You can also put a temporary seperator in the tank and put them in "time out" for a while. Rearanging the decorations during this time out sometimes helps.
Don T.

Tropical Haven
04-08-2008, 10:49 PM
I have seperated fish as well so the one that is being picked on could start eating again.

discus bob
04-08-2008, 11:59 PM
I've tried dividers, they will let the subordinate fish recover. When I removed the divider the aggression was just as bad if not worse. Having at least 5 fish works ok but 6 or more works best. The aggression seems to get spread out more.

Surferdave
04-09-2008, 05:59 PM
I originally started with 1 discus, when the 2nd came in, it was larger than the first and bullied only during feeding time. I then added an additional 2 discus both smaller than the 1st and 2nd, and the original 1st small discus was relentless in chasing and nipping at the newbies. After reading more on them, I returned the "very agro" 1st discus, and purchased an additional 3 for a total of 6. They all live very happily now. Discus have personalities like people, some are jerks, while others are chill. You just need to find that balance. Also, all fish were put in as juveniles.

David.

ThunderWind
04-09-2008, 06:38 PM
Don T.

Whats a "chicklid"?

judy
04-10-2008, 08:08 AM
That's "cichlid".

Don Trinko
04-10-2008, 02:45 PM
I can not spell, I can not type. Chicklids by the way are little peices of candy. Don T.