PDA

View Full Version : ICH TREATMENT

dave Cox
04-09-2008, 04:27 PM
I've noticed some of my Discus flicking on the plants, the loaches flicking on the substrate. I've looked all of my fish over very well and I don't see any signs of white spot. They all seem to be breathing through both of thier guills and they all seem to have good appetites. I added 1 drop per gallon (90 gallons) of malachite green iaw the manufacturers recomendation two days in a row. What I don't know is hoe long do I leave this in the tank before I remove it. I have already removed the carbon filter. I know that he medication needs to be in the tank at the time the parasites are free swimming. The directions on the bottle aren't much help.

Graham
04-09-2008, 06:36 PM
Hmmmm? You're working on the assumption that they have ick, but you have no obvious signs of it... and are using a chem that has a very limited kill zone.

There are all kinds of parasites that can have your fish flashing and they won't be ick...Unless you can use a microscope to actually ID the bug, then use a chem that has a wide kill zone like Quick Cure which is Formalin and Malachite Green mixed together.

You also may have nothing more than a few flukes and Prazi would be the chem of choice

AADiscus
04-09-2008, 07:34 PM
My first ? would be what is your tank temp? I would not start throwing meds in there unless you know forsure what you are treating. I agree with Graham, could be flukes.

dave Cox
04-10-2008, 05:13 PM
The med was from Aquarium Pharmasuiticals which was supposed to kill flukes and the parasites that cause ich. The tank temp is 83-84 degrees. There just is no direction on how long the treatment should stay in the tank. I understand the "cycle" for the ich parasites but I don't know how long the cycle takes. From reading the bottle, the main ingredient is malachite green which should have no ill effect even if it was used as a maintenance med?

Graham
04-10-2008, 05:23 PM
Exactly what med are you using...MG will not affect flukes