PDA

View Full Version : Sechem Purigen

Condor
04-10-2008, 02:35 PM
I was wondering if anyone has experience with purigen. I am going on vacation soon and thought this may help as an addition to my hob filter to help keep the water clean while I'm gone. One thing I am wondering is will byproducts leach back into the water if the material is exhausted. Thanks,

Adrian

Graham
04-10-2008, 03:40 PM
The media.... an ion exchange resin cannot leach anything back into the water, unless you dose things with bleach...

G

geleen
04-10-2008, 05:02 PM
Just started using purigen. Love it. The water was noticeable clearer in 24 hours!
The discus are calmer.
I do not know how long it will last before regeneration
IMO Great stuff.
J

Condor
04-11-2008, 12:21 AM
Thanks for the input guys. Thats the other thing I was wondering, how long it will last until it needs to be recharged. Guess that depends on stocking levels/waterchanges.

Adrian

wgtaylor
04-11-2008, 01:39 PM
Hi Adrian
I am using it with wild discus to remove nitrates. Works great. I have only been using it a couple weeks. That should be long enough to get you through your vacation. I am sure I read somewhere it can last up to 6 mo. However, "Purigen will turn from its normal color to a deep brown when it is exhausted." So if you have it in your hob filter it will be easy to check.

A word of warning with this product as stated on the package hopefully no one overlooks, "Only certain slime coat products will cause Purigen™ to become toxic; the products that do this are amine based. Prime™ and Safe™ are not amine based and so will not cause this problem."

This stuff seems to work pretty good so far. Read the litterature if you treat the water with something other than prime or safe.
Have a good vacation. Bill

Condor
04-12-2008, 07:54 AM
Thanks, Bill.:) I do use prime.

Adrian

YSS
04-12-2008, 09:12 AM
I am planning on purchasing Purigen and use it in all of my tanks. I am quite excited about what this product can do on my discus and SW tanks. It almost sounds too good to be true. If Purigen really does what it claims it does, then other than to remove meds, why would anyone use carbon? Purigen polishes water like carbon and does so much more? What am I missing?