PDA

View Full Version : new discus?

jagwire
04-11-2008, 12:18 AM
question for all you discus gurus out there. i have 6 discus in a 100 gallon tank that range in size from 8 inches to around 4 inches. i just got a baby red melon today and it is about an inch and a half to two inches. my question is after the 30 day quarintine period how long of how big does the new guy need to be.

also right now my new red melon is in my 46 gallon bowfront with four black phanotm tetras and two four inch clown loaches will this be ok.

thanks all

Armandi_Fishcarer
04-11-2008, 12:47 AM
Hi jagwire

Growth really depends on many factors e.g. water quailty(parameters), feeding(type of food, how much fed), age of fish(do you know what stage in life it is in), size of tank, has it been eating well.

All the above factors have a bearing on a fish. :D

In 30days fry can grow quickly, where as a juvenile will take a little longer & so on. In 30 days it can get 'upto' an inch or more.

also right now my new red melon is in my 46 gallon bowfront with four black phanotm tetras and two four inch clown loaches will this be ok.I would say its ok, if observation see's it that way. If the fish seems happy I would leave it in there.

Discus love being in schools, although if other fish are around they will feel secure(depending on the speed of the fish, tempermant).

Regards Armandi ;)

jagwire
04-11-2008, 01:10 AM
the new guy is very young and will be fed blood worms and tetra color. i do thirty percent water changes every three days. the thing i am most concerned with is making sure that he is able to grow and fend for himself when added with the others. i would like to leave him by himself for as little time as possible but dont want to rush the process if he is unable to get adequate amounts of food.

thanks for the resoponse

Tropical Haven
04-11-2008, 08:46 AM
If you want that discus to grow quicker and to it's full potential then I would do a 50% water change every other day instead of a 30% every three day. This also will keep your water healthier since discus at that size eat a lot of food.

jagwire
04-11-2008, 02:03 PM
thanks for the responses all.

i have had no problem getting discus to eat and grow well in the past and will be able to apply my experience to this new guy and get him big and fat.

my real question is at what size does this new discus need to be before i put him in the large display with the other discus. there are six discus in there now from about eight inches to four inches. after quarintine may i add him even if he is small or should i let him grow out by himself in the 46 gallon bow front.

thanks

Tropical Haven
04-11-2008, 02:43 PM
I would go with 4 inches or bigger.

jagwire
04-11-2008, 04:28 PM
alright i appreciete the response once again

Fishdude461
04-12-2008, 08:14 PM
I would deffianty agree with 4in+ But it also depends on the average temperment of those big discus.

Armandi_Fishcarer
04-14-2008, 03:47 AM
Hi Jagwire :D

I wouldn't put the Discus in the tank with the others until, atleast the same or bigger than your smaller sized 1's, as this would allow him to mix with the group better, fend for himself more easily & be able to withstand, if he/she was pecked at.

Regards Armandi ;)