PDA

View Full Version : high current discus tank

FishyMatty
04-12-2008, 01:42 PM
Just wanted some opinions on how discus will do over time in a high current tank.
I have a 110tall with two canister filters with out flows on either side of the back of the tank. I have those glass lily pipes and they take a normally medium flow rate and turn it up to a high current. I just a few days ago moved 4 of my 9 discus to the show tank. they seem to do well with the current but they do seem to hang in one corner or the other when not out looking for food.

Some one told me that the current will stimulate them more than a still water tank.
Although they are doing very well now could the discus become stressed easier in this tank and therefor be more susceptible to diseases?

Fishdude461
04-12-2008, 07:16 PM
I personally wouldn't keep discus in a high current tank..As for long term, I'm not to sure, but I know that they are not too excitied to be in a tank like that.

Tropical Haven
04-12-2008, 08:00 PM
Discus do not get stimulate in a current, a current will eventually wear down their immune system by trying to swim against it. Personally sponge filters would be much better for them.

richmond5
04-13-2008, 12:35 AM
What about having a wet dry filter ? The pump for a tank over 100 gal will have a flow rate over 500 GPH, that high current too!

lonetraveler
04-13-2008, 12:56 AM
Discus do not get stimulate in a current, a current will eventually wear down their immune system by trying to swim against it. Personally sponge filters would be much better for them.

I ran into the opposite problem. I have an Eheim 2026 and a sponge filter in a 55 gallon with 4 discus and 1 small snowball pleco.

I took out the sponge filter. It just wasn't aesthetically pleasing. About 12 hours later i notice the discus gasping for air. So immediately I put the sponge filter back and and did a water change. They were fine after that.

I'm just wondering if there is a way to agitate the aquarium water so that it's properly oxygenated without the use of a sponge filter along with my canister??

Or do I need a higher flowing canister filter?

airbus123
04-13-2008, 05:57 AM
spray bar over the surface of the water level?
i do that , my discus seems to love it.

FishyMatty
04-13-2008, 11:04 AM
So how do I filter the right amount of water with the least amount of current?

Tropical Haven
04-13-2008, 06:08 PM
Have enough flow to turn over the amount of water in your tank 3 times in an hour is sufficent without too much current.

Don Trinko
04-13-2008, 06:25 PM
Even fish that inhabit rivers seek out low current areas to rest and wait for food. Ask a trout fisherman; The fish seek areas of low current on the far side of rocks, a sheltered bend etc. Don T.

FishyMatty
04-13-2008, 10:24 PM
I'm going to make a spray bar for each filter with large enough holes that is can turn over the maximum amount of water with the least current.

lonetraveler
04-14-2008, 06:14 PM
spray bar over the surface of the water level?
i do that , my discus seems to love it.

I put the spraybar over the surface and also have the sponge filter.

It looks at those the tank is boiling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!