PDA

View Full Version : Cycling Question

LostAcres
04-13-2008, 05:33 PM
okay here't goes. Purchased a used 75 gallon tank with cycled canister filter. Set it up as barebottom, with a couple of pieces of driftwood with some plants anquered to them, just for viewing pleasure. Added 10 rummy nosed tetras to keep the established filter cycled. Also added a Emperor 400 bio filter, using some sponges from my established 55 gallon. Plus two large (new) spongefilters. Everything has been running for almost 2 weeks. Water parameters are great. My discus in the small QT tank are outgrowing their quarters very fast. Do you all think it is safe to move them into the bigger tank, keeping up with frequent large water changes? I have a smaller spongefilter in the QT tank I can also move over to the bigger tank, since it is already seeded. I realize I might get a spike with adding to the bioload, but I feel like I really need to move them from the small tank. OR am I being too impatient and should wait?

Thanks so much for any advise/suggestions

Tropical Haven
04-13-2008, 05:41 PM
If you are worried about bioload and stability of your 75 gal tank then you should be ok depending how many discus you are adding and what size they are.

LostAcres
04-13-2008, 05:46 PM
If you are worried about bioload and stability of your 75 gal tank then you should be ok depending how many discus you are adding and what size they are.

Thanks Scott, I guess bioload would be increased no matter what I add. These guys are ranging from 3 to 4 inches, there are ten of them. Since 75g is considered small for 10 discus, I am planning to keep up with my big WC. I am just hoping I am not being to anxious to move them out of their (much) smaller QT tank. They have put on so much growth, and I am seeing some territorial agression in the tight quarters.

Don Trinko
04-13-2008, 06:22 PM
If you excede the bioloal capability of your present system you will see an amonia spike followed by a nitrite spike. Your system should adjust quickly. You can treat the amonia and nitrite spikes with WC and/or checmicals so as long as you test for it and react to it there will be no problem for the fish.
Don T.

Armandi_Fishcarer
04-14-2008, 04:03 AM
Hi LostAcres :D

I would check water param's & if everything looks good, I would put 5 Discus in the tank now.

After a week or 2 place the others in their, making sure param's are checked.

They should be good, if you are saying the filter was already established & you have got rummy's in their, im sure they would have died by now if the water param's aren't good.

Regards Armandi ;)