PDA

View Full Version : Discus fish eating but thin

David Urban
04-15-2008, 12:19 PM
Hello I have two adult discus fish that look thin but I can't diagnose well because both of them eat very well papilla (sorry I dont know the english name) I made with fish, shrimps, etc, pellets and live artemia.

Could you help me with this ?
Regards from Mexico

pcsb23
04-15-2008, 12:58 PM
Best guess would be some form of worm or other internal parasite. Have these ever been treated for worms? If not may be worth doing. Prazi will deal with tapes, levimasole (water and/or food) or fenbendazole in food only will deal with the rest.

ShinShin
04-15-2008, 09:18 PM
At this point, I wouldn't spend money on prazi. It will take care of tapeworms, but I doubt this is your problem. I'll bet nematodes. Do you have access to a microscope?

Mat

David Urban
04-16-2008, 01:24 PM
Thank you for your answers, Sorry I do not have access to a microscope,
I will try to put some photos here
The fish colour do not change, they do not hiding it selfs,
Could you help me what to use for nematodes, I'am in Mexico city and is very difficult to find some especifical fish medications.
other than fenbendazole and levamisole.
Thanks for your answer
regards

pcsb23
04-17-2008, 05:28 PM
If you can get panacur puppy granules these contain fenbendazole, this is a good general purpose wormer. Use around 1gram of the granules to 100 grams food (beefheart or similar) and feed twice a day for a few days.

You must not use panacur in the water only in food, fenbendazole is the active ingredient.

Another option is farm supply shops they will stock levimasole and flubendazole, both are cattle/pig wormers. Both can be used in water or food.

David Urban
04-21-2008, 08:42 PM
Thank you for your answer I will try to find it
regards