PDA

View Full Version : Best Filtration

jgunja
04-15-2008, 06:09 PM
Hello my friends!

I have my breeding pair in a 20 gallon tank, and have a sponge filter. However, I was wondering if I should augment the filtration with an outside power filter, as even with the wc's it stills does not seem clear or clean enough. I do siphon the bottom with each wc, but cannot seem to get all of the bottom gunk out.

I do have a great FUVAL cannister filter in another tnak I could use, but wondering if this would cause too much water circulation

Thx

Tropical Haven
04-15-2008, 08:06 PM
I would not use an outside filter in a 20 gallon tank, the sponge filter should be more than enough if it is fully seeded.

aquaworks
04-15-2008, 11:40 PM
How Large is your Cannister Filter? If its rated for a Twenty Gallon Aquarium I think it's a good idea to use it,it will help keep all the Junk curculating and being removed from the Aquarium.I'd use a Carbon insert to help keep your water Chrystal Clear.Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

kaceyo
04-16-2008, 02:49 PM
Breeder tanks are best kept as simple as possible. I use 29gal tanks with a single sponge for breeding pairs as do most others but there are many who use twenty's. There is bound to be some detritis on the bottom and if you're vaccuuming it every WC there should be no problem.
Are the fish eating all the food put into the tank quickly?

Kacey