PDA

View Full Version : Heater choice

Richy44
04-16-2008, 01:51 AM
Visitherm or Jager? and Why?

Thanks

Tropical Haven
04-16-2008, 08:58 AM
Both heaters are good hearters but I personally use the Visitherms. Why? Because I have used these for the past 17 years and only had 2 that ever failed me and those had a lot of years on them before that happened.

aquagal
04-16-2008, 09:03 AM
I've had about 3-4 Visi-Therm Stealth heaters fail in the past year. The last one was last week and it gave me quit a shock...literally. I guess water leaked in?

I just purchased som Jaegers so I can't really comment on their long-term reliability but from everything I've read it's very good.

As for the Stealths, don't think I'll be buying any more...

Sherry

Harriett
04-16-2008, 11:33 AM
I also went through a series of failing stealth heaters--2 off them were new out of the package as a matter of fact...
I am really liking the hy-dor in line aquarium heaters--you need a canister system to run them through. THey come in 200w and 300w. Larry [AKA Polar Bear] uses them pretty much exclusively so at his urging I decided to give them a try. I have 2 running that I put on maybe 6 months ago and they just never stray--keep the temp completely on target. I am going to get more when I see them on sale, for the other tanks. They cost more but are rumored to have quite a long life and I like that the heater is not visually in the tank itself.
Big Als and Foster/Smith both carry them.
Best regards
Harriett

Tropical Haven
04-16-2008, 01:54 PM
I love my Hydor, its been hooked up to my holding tank for the last 1-1/2 years and has kept steady temps without a problem.

As of Visitherm Stealths I have heard nothing but problems with them, I always use the regular Visitherms without a single problem.