PDA

View Full Version : Will they stop hiding?

crystalview
04-17-2008, 12:57 AM
I have had these 4 discus for almost 2 months that would make them 5months old. The will nibble at my fingers when I put live worms in but the rest of the time they hide only coming out quickly and then they retreat. The have gotten more colorful and seem to almost doubled in size. I thought they cruised the tank that is why they needed a bigger one.
They are in our great room and we are home most of the time. The tank is not in the main walk way but off to the side. What can I do to get them not so afraid? The tank has wood and a rock to hide behind and a couple of plants.

dishpanhands
04-17-2008, 02:29 AM
If you give them a place to hide..They will hide...

airbus123
04-17-2008, 06:37 AM

i kinda of agree with this statement. sounds funny, but it's true.

cheers

digthemlows
04-17-2008, 08:12 AM
I think taking away places to hide will get them used to having to be out, but my planted tank has tons of places to hide and none of my discus ever hide. So maybe take out the wood and rocks, or put them in the very back so the fish can't get behind them for a while...........then maybe you can move them back when the discus get used to everything.

crystalview
04-17-2008, 10:42 AM
I will try that. My plants are small for now so that is not a hiding place for them.

Dig: Where in Sac do you get nice Discus at a fair price? Gas to the Bay Area has gotten so bad and they charge a $100 box fee.

I think taking away places to hide will get them used to having to be out, but my planted tank has tons of places to hide and none of my discus ever hide. So maybe take out the wood and rocks, or put them in the very back so the fish can't get behind them for a while...........then maybe you can move them back when the discus get used to everything.

Lee C
04-17-2008, 12:24 PM
I have had these 4 discus for almost 2 months that would make them 5months old. The will nibble at my fingers when I put live worms in but the rest of the time they hide only coming out quickly and then they retreat. The have gotten more colorful and seem to almost doubled in size. I thought they cruised the tank that is why they needed a bigger one.
They are in our great room and we are home most of the time. The tank is not in the main walk way but off to the side. What can I do to get them not so afraid? The tank has wood and a rock to hide behind and a couple of plants.

View,

I have found it usually is the lighting and reflections. JMO ;)
If there is light coming in to the front of the tank it causes problems, since the discus mainly see shadows at a distance, i.e. predators.
Also could be the overhead lighting; try to place it in a different position on the top of the tank and see if it reduces the reflective qualities.

regards,
Lee

crystalview
04-17-2008, 12:29 PM
My room is very bright. No direct sun on the tank now. I was covering it so the 15min of winter sun would not grow algae. I started leaving the lights off till about noon but I will reposition them to see what happens. The Great room is mostly widows.

View,

I have found it usually is the lighting and reflections. JMO ;)
If there is light coming in to the front of the tank it causes problems, since the discus mainly see shadows at a distance, i.e. predators.
Also could be the overhead lighting; try to place it in a different position on the top of the tank and see if it reduces the reflective qualities.

regards,
Lee

digthemlows
04-17-2008, 02:33 PM
JoJo's aquarium has some nice fish for an ok price. I bought mine at a few different places. I think the $35 or so in gas is worth it to go see Kenny, that's my hope for May at least!

bluedisc
04-17-2008, 03:25 PM
How exsposed are the sides of the tank to out side motion,how is the noise level in the room

crystalview
04-17-2008, 04:13 PM
They hide on the side were we pass down the hall. When they could hide on the wall side. The two of us move around the great room but not a lot in front of their tank. In the evening when we watch TV we have only their light on in the room.
My husband is hard of hearing so he has the TV loud. The radio is rarely on but when it is it is jazz. Mostly it is quite all day. We live in the forest.

How exsposed are the sides of the tank to out side motion,how is the noise level in the room

crystalview
04-17-2008, 04:16 PM
I am trying to talk my self into going to Daily City. Just have not done it yet. Kenny just got those great fish in last week. I only need one but it would be nice to see his set up.

JoJo's aquarium has some nice fish for an ok price. I bought mine at a few different places. I think the $35 or so in gas is worth it to go see Kenny, that's my hope for May at least!

Peachtree Discus
04-17-2008, 04:24 PM
wait until they figure out where the food comes from. then they will be lined across the front of the tank when you come into the room.

crystalview
04-17-2008, 04:36 PM
That is the strange part they see the worm box and they are right at the feeder. They will poke at my fingers. These guys are pigs with fins. I can't seem to feed them enough sinking wafers either. But with those they will wait till I am gone.

wait until they figure out where the food comes from. then they will be lined across the front of the tank when you come into the room.

bluedisc
04-17-2008, 08:07 PM
sounds like they have picked out there territory they come out to feed then go back that is normal

bluedisc
04-18-2008, 04:14 PM
Our big male has his corner of the 100 gallon tank and defends all comers except the female disc, we have ten disc in the 100 gallon tank they have their own spots in the tank,they swim around but will return to the social ladder of the community their spot. Once the pecking order is establish.

crystalview
04-18-2008, 04:23 PM
It is odd watching who is on top of the pecking order. I have that change places. I am concerned that the supper runt is getting a bad mouth and will have to be put down. I should replace him to help with the pecking order. Should it be about the same size or age? The other 3 are also really stunted. They were in a 20g for their 3 months with the last owner. That tank also had small fish too.

dragonlover
04-18-2008, 04:29 PM
I worried and worried about this when I first got my discus, too. I have a heavily planted tank...and yep, they hid. FOR MONTHS. Now, a little over a year later, I have two show offs that have to be right in front of you wherever you're trying to look, two that swim around like "normal" ;), and one that still hides in his nook behind my amazon sword. So, you know, fish have personalities too! But I really thought they would never stop hiding.

I bought my fish from a breeder that had all BB tanks, so I wondered if that added to the time it took them to acclimate.....

bluedisc
04-19-2008, 10:29 AM
Size no,Six to seven years ago we had a blue diamond that was about 8 inchs and the 3 inch pidgeon blood ruled the tank blue diamond was 3/4" thick so size is'nt al ways the issue. Some just more aggresive then others.

sharkscott2
09-21-2008, 06:00 AM

I found this thread because my new discus (had them 2 weeks now and these are my first) were staying huddled in the corner sometimes even going so far as to lay on the ground and play dead. I was having problems getting them to eat and found it very stressful to see how stressed I was making them. I designed the tank with hiding places in mind as i've done with other timid tropical fish.

After finding this thread I rearranged the tank to give them no place to hide. I have some tera cotta pots with plants. I bunched them all in the center pushed towards the back and used rocks to fill the gaps between pots so they can't get between. I took light blue cloth and attached it to the back and sides so they can't see the dark closet to the right and the dim hall to the left. And moved the heaters off the bottom so they can't slide under them. The darkest spot in the tank is now front and center

The results have been amazing, they're eating better swimming out in the open with fully extended beautiful fins and are much less scared of me. I guess you need to teach some of them to be brave by taking away that crutch of a hiding place they have.

Thanks,

crystalview
09-21-2008, 06:25 AM
It has been four months since I posted here. My Discus are full grown and two have mated. I lost one but the 3 third one is a girl and she sometimes hides when the other two babysit eggs or wigglers. They always peck at the odd girl out but she is never hurt. It does take awhile for them to get use to you but I did not change the hiding places. They also don't like all dark clothes coming close to the tank. Even if it is with food. I love them just the way they are. Even though the male is stunted and a lot smaller then the two females.