PDA

View Full Version : When is a Discus considered an adult?

MD Bandit
04-17-2008, 01:20 PM
Just curious. When is a Discus considered an adult? Mine are 4 months old and most are tennis ball sized. Thats supposed to happen at 6 months, but they eat like crazy. (well except for one). Just wondering when I should start paying attention in case the pairing off starts. Have 7 in a 90 and 4 in a 45.

Tropical Haven
04-17-2008, 01:33 PM
Spawning usually occurs around a 1 to 1 1/2 years old. Of course there is always an exception to the rule but that is a pretty good time frame.

RickMay1
04-17-2008, 01:35 PM
normaly they become adults around 1 year, sometimes as early as 9 months. females mature first, i.e. produce eggs. Males take a bit longer.

Apistomaster
04-18-2008, 05:25 PM
My strain of red turquoise typically begin spawning at 11 months post hatch. They are tennis ball diameter at about 4 months. They are not full sized when they begin spawning but continue to grow until they are about 5-1/2 inches. Males grow a little larger than that for my fish.
So there can be quite a bit of variation depending upon the strain of discus and the kind of conditions they are raised in.

Rod
04-18-2008, 05:35 PM
My red turk strain are fertile from 7 months of age, adults they definately are not! But fertile and spawning which i guess is the real question you are asking!