PDA

View Full Version : what is the best way to get rid of internal parasites?

freestylez_14
04-19-2008, 01:04 PM
Hi everyone,

I bought 2 small discus 5 months ago and they grown only a little. I fed them well every day, 3 times a day with bloodworm, brineshrimp and tetra granules. Iam thinking its because of internal parasites that costs them to grow. Does anyone knows a method or any medicine that get rids of worms, etc.

Thanks

Graham
04-19-2008, 03:00 PM
Unless you can ID exactly the parasite that's causing the problem, you have to go through a number of meds/chems to see which one works...Prazi, lemisole, Metro to name a few

Discus_adictus
04-20-2008, 12:02 PM
Hi Graham,

I wish to take this opportunity to ask you if Mebendazole (tablet 100mg) is effective against discus tapeworms? And what is the proper dosage? I'm from the Philippines and I can't avail of any Praziquantel or Levamisole products here in our local fish shop. Tremazol (sera) is available here but the instruction is written in German. I cant understand the proper dosage. Thanks in advance.

Jeremy

kaceyo
04-20-2008, 01:28 PM
For Tremazol add 1ml per 15 litres water. Do an 80% wc after 8hrs (or if water goes dull, do wc right away). Redose after 8 days for gill worms (flukes?).
HTH,

Kacey

Graham
04-20-2008, 01:34 PM
The mebendzole should work on tape worms if the fish have them. I haven't used it so as far as dosage is concerned this is recommended by Pets Warehouse

http://www.pets-warehouse.com/Fishmed2.htm

Discus_adictus
04-21-2008, 04:23 AM
For Tremazol add 1ml per 15 litres water. Do an 80% wc after 8hrs (or if water goes dull, do wc right away). Redose after 8 days for gill worms (flukes?).
HTH,

Kacey

Thanks Kacey, I'm suspecting them of having tapeworms or ringworms, not gill flukes. They are on their 4th week hunger strike.

Discus_adictus
04-21-2008, 04:33 AM
The mebendzole should work on tape worms if the fish have them. I haven't used it so as far as dosage is concerned this is recommended by Pets Warehouse

http://www.pets-warehouse.com/Fishmed2.htm

Thanks for the info, I'm only suspecting them of having tapeworms. 3 of my discus have stop eating for more than 3 weeks. I have already tried Metro but they still wont eat. The 3 look stunted already to me, their siblings are more than an inch bigger than them already. I want to try Mebendazole since its very much cheaper than Tremazol. Hope it works.