PDA

View Full Version : Seachem Purigen-Anybody use it in canister filters?

subcooler
04-20-2008, 07:46 AM
I was listening to a Seachem rep. sales pitch on Seachem Purigen & wondering if anybody is using this product in thier canister filter?
He was promoting it as the replacement for activated carbon-because it can't release anything it absorbs back into the water-even if left in can. filter longer than the recommended 6mo.'s
I'm currently not using AC -so his sales pitch basically fell on deaf ears, just wondering about everyone else's trials/thoughts on this product?
Rob

Graham
04-20-2008, 08:31 AM
''...He was promoting it as the replacement for activated carbon-because it can't release anything it absorbs back into the water-even if left in can. filter longer than the recommended 6mo.'s...''

Rob please tell me that the Rep was stating the AC was capable of leaching elements back into the water................:bandana:

G

BSW
04-20-2008, 08:40 AM
I've used it, and it works great, keeps a tank nice and clear. And it's easy to use. Although I never "re-used" it like they say you can. I always just bought fresh and new. Used it in a bio bag in a 405 Fluval. BUT ! This better be a BB tank, the reason I quit using it, is because I have live plants, ans it will suck every drop of everything out of the water. The plants didn't stand a chance.
Just about everything seachems's makes has been good IMO anyway.
B

YSS
04-20-2008, 09:54 AM
Just added Purigen in my FX5 yesterday after reading a lot of positive comments. So far, I have not seen any improvement in my water clarity. So, not sure what it's doing, but hopefully things will improve. Also, Purigen is not suppose to absorb trace elements from the water. A lot folks at plantedtank.net said that they had no problems keeping plants with Purigen.

So far, disappointed with Purigen, but I will give it a few more days.

BSW
04-20-2008, 10:17 AM
I know it isn't suppose to affect plants, neither are UV sterilizers. But both have had an affect on my plants. I still use a UV but, not on a 24 hr. basis anymore.
Although I am open to the suggestion that it may something I am doing wrong.
Since I cut back on the UV, and do not use absorbents of any kind anymore, my plants do fine. Of course it is not a Co2 tank either, so any of the combinations - Ferts, Uv, Substrate, Absorbents, Light, etc..... could be my cause.
But Purigen did strip my water.
Only my experience. You would just have to give it a try and see how it works for you. I still believe it's a good product.
B

wgtaylor
04-20-2008, 10:54 AM
I used one small bag in a hob filter on a 80 gal tank of wilds to remove nitrate, nitrate went from 10 to 0. Doing 25 percent water change every three days and after 3 weeks noticed the sponge filters getting moldy. Cleaned filters and next day getting moldy again. I'm not sure but I believe there was not enough ammonia, nitrite left for nitrifying bacteria. Check showed ammonia, nitrite and nitrate 0, water looked good. Removed perigen and getting back to normal. If you do not have a sponge filter look for mold where particulates settle on heater or other areas. I have extremely soft water and low ph so your results may vary. Perigen does seem to work extremely well. Bill

subcooler
04-20-2008, 11:22 AM
''...He was promoting it as the replacement for activated carbon-because it can't release anything it absorbs back into the water-even if left in can. filter longer than the recommended 6mo.'s...''

Rob please tell me that the Rep was stating the AC was capable of leaching elements back into the water................:bandana:

G

He was stating that AC will leach back into water, but that Purigen will not!
He never really addressed why it's needed @ all in a Discus tank with large daily W/C's :confused:
I was there for the 1$ a gal. pricing on Perfecto tanks & just happened by his stand... I gave him the courtesy of listening-but that's about all!
Rob

Graham
04-20-2008, 01:14 PM
He was stating that AC will leach back into water, but that Purigen will not!
He never really addressed why it's needed @ all in a Discus tank with large daily W/C's :confused:
I was there for the 1$ a gal. pricing on Perfecto tanks & just happened by his stand... I gave him the courtesy of listening-but that's about all!
Rob

I think they better get a new rep:bandana: or talk to his own tech people as this one doesn't know what he's talking about...Activated Carbon can not leach anything back into the water ...it's a chemical bond that can't be undone by anything that we're capable of.

A lot of AC's will leach phosphates but this is due to what they're made of and not what reacted with them

G

MSD
04-23-2008, 10:33 AM
I don't like using bagged media in a canister filter as it gets blocked with waste fast and then you get bypass of the water and media.