PDA

View Full Version : New Member Sharing Discus picture and discussion

yh88
04-21-2008, 04:38 AM
Hi All,
Thanks for ur postings re:discus - hope to be able to follow some of ur ideas.

I have just started keeping discus (13/4/08) - 3 of them about 2 ins in size, 1 a bit smaller, noticeably (how do I insert a pic here permanently, without having to refer to a URL?:confused:) in an AC 215 litres (55US gals) together with a population of 10 tetra rummy noses, 8 Cardinal tetras + 3 Neons, 6 glowlites, 1 small bristle-nose catfish + 2 Corys. Just wished :( that I havent that many small fishes, cos with them around it s hard to concentrate on feeding the discus (they don't seem to be hungry after the 3rd day) and it s very hard to feed the smaller discus perhaps it may have been bullied when the LFS kept the fish for me in a separate tank before my tank was ready). I have a plastic cone fr which I feed the discus, cos the smaller fish will eat the Spectrum food pellets before it even get to them!!:mad: Only 1 discus(yellow, red) comes out all the time to feed though it doesn't seem to be eating much just nipping at the bottom only to let the other fishes hovering below the cone eat them when the food falls out or it spits it out, sometimes. This discus is not the dominating fish. It is only 'equal' to another striped bluish red. The one that dominates all now hides and doesn't come out as often just like the smallest discus. My tank has 3 plastic plants, 2 amazon plants, 2 'sunken boats', one sort of 'cave' in the shape of a mountain. The plants are grown in ceramic and plastic bowls. I don't have any gravel other than those in the bowls.

The 4 discus only come out to swim together only towards evening perhaps because the place where I have my tank is too brightly lit because there is a glass block window and a wooden door that has a sort of leadlights glass openings to it. So I am having a hard time to get the smaller discus to eat - I am now trying to feed them live worms when they are swimming together in the hope that the smaller discus gets a bite of the live worms.

I also feed the smaller fish with flakes and the catfish with vege wafers.

Any comments would be welcome.:argue: Btw, those of u who use auto feeders, are they any good? For one who may be going travelling soon?:balloon: