PDA

View Full Version : Most Cheapest Way to feed discus???

TRD
04-21-2008, 06:19 PM
ok soo moneys a big problem so i just wanna kno what the cheapest but also effective way that i can use to feed my discus. Tell me your feeding methods or list of foods that you use.

AADiscus
04-21-2008, 06:36 PM
There is never a cheap way to feed them. BH if you make it yourself is pretty cheap. It might seem a little pricey at first but it will last you. You might try looking at Jehmco's website. There flake food is pretty cheap when you buy it in bulk.

Fishdude461
04-21-2008, 08:12 PM
You need to find a new hobby, discus are not cheap. :p But I would get the biggest can of Tetra colorbits. Its huge and only like 20 bucks, will last a long time.

Michael G
04-21-2008, 08:59 PM
Beef heart mix that you make your self is the most cost effective. You must be careful not to over feed and remove any uneaten food at least daily and lots of water changes. Keeping discus is not inexpensive.

alron2
04-21-2008, 10:02 PM
The cheapest way to feed discus is to feed them to the cat. I don't advise it, but I challenge you to find a cheaper way.
Ron

White Worm
04-22-2008, 02:55 AM
I vote for beefheart or tetra bits

brewmaster15
04-22-2008, 08:14 AM
Hi TRD,
How many discus are we talking about here?

-al

korbi_doc
04-22-2008, 10:15 AM
;) Ya want cheap? Go dig earthworms, then culture'm & grow'm & feed'm to the fish....but, as has been said, these fish are not cheap & cost $$ to keep well.....

Dottie

bluedisc
04-22-2008, 03:22 PM
looks like rain here do some nightcrawler hunting,cheep as way i know my wife never takes me up on the offer to go crawler hunting.

CliffsDiscus
04-22-2008, 06:20 PM
Grow some Whiteworms, just feed them bread and water.

Cliff

ShinShin
04-25-2008, 12:53 AM
Cliff,

You aren't suggesting whiteworms as a staple diet, are you?

TRD,

You can buy quality pellets that will meet your discus requirements at a modest price. Pro Gro ranges in sizes from fry to adults. There are others as well.

Mat

White Worm
04-25-2008, 01:54 AM
Grow some Whiteworms, just feed them bread and water.

Cliff

or misted quaker oats. :D

brewmaster15
04-25-2008, 07:11 AM
I think for the amount of money these fish cost..."the Cheapest" way to feed them is with the best mix of foods.....regardless of the cost.... Consider it an Investment in the future..

Tell me your feeding methods or list of foods that you use.
some of what I feed....

hikari frzn bloodworms
san fran bay frzn brine shrimp
NLS pellets
Ocean nutrition Formula one pellets
Homemade beefheart and homemade seafood mix
Live Red wigglers and earth worms
assorted quality flakes

I'm sure you can get by on less...If I had to wean the list down... Blood worms for digestive aid, Ocean nutrition pellets, and live red wiggler compost worms.

Cost... 1 lb Hikari Frzn Blood worms...$10-15 at your LFS cheaper in bulk online. Formula one pellets... 7 oz container $10- 15 and Compost worms... Live by the pound about $20 ( try Kazarie.com)

So back to my question.....How many discus do you have?:)

hth,
al

CliffsDiscus
04-25-2008, 12:58 PM
[QUOTE=ShinShin;451606]Cliff,

You aren't suggesting whiteworms as a staple diet, are you?

Matt,
Whiteworms as a supplement to flakes, beefheart and etc. I usually buy flakes around 25 lbs, beefheart at around 50 lbs and split the cost with a LFS, Hikari frozen blookworm around
$6per lb flat pack by the case.

Cliff

accessj
04-27-2008, 01:54 PM
hI:

My discus love the Sera granule food for blue discus. It is hard to find. I buy 2 large containers from e-bay. They love this even more than beefheart, or frozen bloodworms. I do try to give them different foods. It is the most cost effective food that i have tried. They seem very healthy and have been spawing like mad.

- Judi