PDA

View Full Version : When it rains it pours!!................Literally!

GrillMaster
04-21-2008, 11:16 PM
Saturday morning I had a few minutes to kill so I ran home while the crew was doing a lawn install and did the WC thing. I started filling up the 45G brute with water which usually takes about 15 minutes.

The phone rings, which it has been doing relentlessly since running the monthly ad in the local paper. I run downstairs an answer it, get all the potential customers info, then hang up. The phone rings again. I answer it an write all the next potential customers info down then run out the door to get the top soil the crew needs to finish the job. Now all loaded up with top soil and driving to the job site I get a call from my landlord. "Mark....Your next door neighbor just called and said you have water running out the front of your house. I am on my way over there" :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: All I said was "OHHH CRAP" Well it wasn't that nice, and hung up.

I realized at that moment that I had made a very serious mistake!! That feeling, at that very moment, was gut wrenching!! I knew exactly what was happening at that moment. The only thing I could do was drive as fast as I could to the house an stop the water flow. Drivin a 1 ton dump full of top soil doesn't stop real easy!! I did manage to make it home without hitting anything though!! I could smell the brakes as I ran up the drive to turn the water off.

The neighbor had already went into the house an turned off the water before I had got there (Thank God). I ran into the house an water was dripping from everywhere. The 45G brut was upstairs and had been over flowing for about 1 1/2 hours. It was dripping out from the front of the house, through the ceiling into the living room, down the walls, and there was an inch of water upstairs. You ever have one of those moments when you felt completely helpless, and had no idea what to do?

My son was playing golf with his friends, my wife had left Friday morning with a couple of her freinds for a weekend getaway with her freinds in-laws.

I run upstairs an start draining the barrel and the tanks cause all I can picture is the tanks falling thru the wet ceiling. Then I just sat on the front porch and contemplated where we were going to stay while the house was being gutted. Called the landlord (him an I have been friends for years) no answer. What was keeping him so long? Its been 20 minutes, he should have been here already!!! Called my wife. I didn't want to but I did. No answer!!! I left an emergency message on her voicemail. I called my son and explained the situation. He says "Well were on the 12th hole, I will be home in a little while." I called my landlord again, still no answer...Damn its been 30 minutes he should have been here already!!!

So I just sit on the front porch and ponder...What am I gonna do now? I gave Al (brewmaster15) a call and asked him if he would come and take the Alenquers back which he graciously did tonight just after driving back fron NC from vacation yesterday!! Thank you very much my friend!!

That car accident I had a couple months ago didn't have half the impact on me that this episode did!!! This I have to be honest...Devistated me!! I was close to bringing Al all my fish, tanks, everything myself and packing it in! Throwing in the towel!!!

We have since ripped up the carpets, dried everything out for the most part and have started laying down new padding. Pretty much putting everything back together.

The landlord took it like a champ, but expressed his concerns with setting the tanks up again!! My son said if I set them back up upstairs he had a spare bottle of anti-freeze that would probably find its way into the tanks! (If you knew my son, and what we did to his room, you would understand) My wife...Well she is just an awsome woman and just said "I had a feeling something like this would happen", and left it at that.

So I have a 125G tank downstairs with 8 awsome WG's from Al, and lets just say we will leave it at that till this winter!! :)

tc
Mark

fishmama
04-21-2008, 11:34 PM
Whoa...and I thought overflowing my 300 gal storage tank was a mess! :(

You win the disaster of the month award, unfortunately! :o

phidelt85
04-22-2008, 01:28 AM
Oh, man, Mark, that's a real bummer. (that's not what I really wanted to say ;) ). I'm sorry you had to go through that. I know the feeling of flooding a house, water line busted in my attic one night years ago. I do hope you get your house back together allright. And give that wife of yours a big squeeze for not reaming you a new one. :)

brewmaster15
04-22-2008, 06:52 AM
Hey all,
Alls I can say is...that was serious spillage that Mark had at his place...:( Could have been alot worse but should be a wake up call for all hobbyists that "multi-task" while tank filling..... I'm just glad it wasn't worse... if that water had tracked differently, I'd hate to think what might have happened.:(:(:(

As for the alenquers Mark.. don't worry about that... In the future , you'll have that fishroom and we'll get you some more stock to play with:)

-al

ps.. That steak and ale hit the spot last night! Thanks again.:D

Tropical Haven
04-22-2008, 09:53 AM
Boy I know the feeling about over flowing tanks, about a year ago I was multi tasking which I will never do again, but I decided to vacuum the living room while I was filling up my 125 gallon. After I finished vacuuming the carpet I went upstairs to watch TV forgetting about my tank filling up, but 15 minutes later I sat up quickly because it just entered my mind that I forgot about my tank. I ran downstairs because this tank is in my dining room and there was water everywhere, luckily alot of water seeped down into the basement where the floor was soaked but it still was unfinished so it didn't hurt anything except for alot of sucking water out of my carpet with the shop vac. Luckily the wife never found out about it. :D

geleen
04-22-2008, 10:03 AM
Glad it's over. Bummer!
John

Tropical Haven:

Luckily the wife never found out about it. :D[/QUOTE]

MMMM. Thats what you think!;):D:angel:

Diamond Discus
04-22-2008, 10:04 AM
Multi~tasking....been there done that. I've overflowed aging barrels and tanks. I have 2 big tanks upstairs and our basement ceiling is finised off with sheetrock. My husband would probably not be as good as your wife was about it. I've just narrowly missed a couple of potential diasters myself, I'm going to be extra careful after reading this. I'm so sorry Mark. I know it has to be such a downer for you. Keep your chin up my friend!!

LostAcres
04-22-2008, 10:14 AM
Oh Man, what a bummmer!!!! And it has to be my worst nightmare. I have gotten so water concious, due to having whats called "a weak well", which doesn't recover fast and if run down, will burn out pumps. Having replaced 3 wellpumps in a 750 ft deep well, and they are not cheap, I have gotten to the point where I won't even leave the bathroom until the toilet has finished filling up, just to make sure it shuts off properly. No automatic sprinklers even in my gardens, and i have water for my koiponds trucked in when doing backwashes and WC on those. I don't think I could ever get myself to leave running water to do something else.

From what I read, it could have been a lot worse for you. You are very lucky to have an understanding landlord. as said, keep your chin up!!

GrillMaster
04-22-2008, 11:21 PM
Thanks for the well wishes everyone!

I spent the day putting the upstairs back together. The carpet is down and everything is back in place, and the wife has forgivin me...:)

Al next time we get together, it will be under better circumstances!! :D

tc
Mark

subcooler
04-23-2008, 05:37 AM
Mark,
Sorry to hear about the overflow!
Your lucky to have a friend like Al close by.
Glad there was no damage to upstairs floor.
Thanks for sharing your experience here & making us all think about dangers of multi-tasking.
I overfilled a 55g. in livingroom-luckily I was home & wife was out(she probably heard about it though:o
This thread has me second guessing ever having discus upstairs-currently Angels & Piranha's.I think I'll get basement in order & put tanks in corner there-sounds much safer, in event of any kind of mishap.
Best of luck recovering from the spring flood of 2008.
Rob

jeep
04-23-2008, 08:51 AM
LOL! You should have a chat with my insurance company about the danger of this hobby. Fortunately it was the utility room and not the hardwoods :bandana:

Discus_KC
04-23-2008, 08:57 AM
LOL! You should have a chat with my insurance company about the danger of this hobby. Fortunately it was the utility room and not the hardwoods :bandana:

We have a lot of fun in store with this project !!!

Jack

GrillMaster
04-25-2008, 07:02 AM
I am quite sure their are alot of hobbyist that have done it. It is inevitable. Doing WC's as often as we do will bite you in the butt sooner or later. :)

They make basements and drains for guys like me!! :D :D :D

Diamond Discus
04-25-2008, 07:09 AM
I am quite sure their are alot of hobbyist that have done it. It is inevitable. Doing WC's as often as we do will bite you in the butt sooner or later. :)

They make basements and drains for guys like me!! :D :D :D

tc
MarkMark, after all of this, I ran a barrel over the day before yesterday. It was in the guest bathroom tub, but the overflow hit the tub ledge and sent a portion of the overflow stream onto the floor. My son-in-law was picking up the kids from my house and I got busy gabbing to him in the driveway. It went through to the basement...but luckily it was the unfinished part. Hello dehumidifyer!! LOL Will I never learn...or is it just Alzheimer's????

GrillMaster
04-25-2008, 08:29 PM
Sue...I am pushin 48 years old now, and I can tell ya multitaskin is not one of my strong points when it comes to WC's!! I can mutitask all day long when it comes to the biz though! :D

I guess with me its my priorities are in the right place at the wrong time! ;) :D

AADiscus
04-25-2008, 10:21 PM
mark, oh my, I am laughing pretty hard, not at you but we have all been thru this some time or another. You you come to our house, you will notice the whole downstairs is all ceramic tile except a small section where there is no tanks. lol :D Hang in there my friend. It will dry with time.

scolley
04-26-2008, 09:13 AM
Mark, I saw this and was sorely bummed. Sorry buddy. That is a real unfortunate thing. But it looks like you are dealing with it well. Congratulations on that anyway.

And your wife... well all I can say is that she must be a saint. I'd be in the dog house for a few years if that were me. And goodness knows I'd hear about it periodically until they were covering me with sod. Probably still get told for chuckles though. Sounds like you, on the other hand, are forgiven and forgotten. Good for you. And good for your wife!

Now, as you are rebuilding... if you ever decide you want to spring $100 for a couple of quality solenoids, I've got everything else ou need setup an auto water change system. No charge for a friend. I'll even come set it up. I know you've got a lot to think about with regard to fish these days, but if you decide to make water changes a thing of the past, lemme know. I'll help!

Sorry again pal. That IS a bummer.

Diamond Discus
04-26-2008, 09:49 AM
Sue...I am pushin 48 years old now, and I can tell ya multitaskin is not one of my strong points when it comes to WC's!! I can mutitask all day long when it comes to the biz though! :D

I guess with me its my priorities are in the right place at the wrong time! ;) :D
Those darn PRIORITIES anyway!!!!;):D

GrillMaster
04-27-2008, 09:00 PM
Its dry now for the most part Angela. I just have haunting memories when I look at the stains on the living room ceiling and walk upstairs to empty tanks! :(

Looking at the bright side, I will have a basement in Oct. so I will be setting them up again with a few more. :)

Steve...Not much to deal with actually. There are many many things in life that I could be dealing with besides a little water. :) Your right though! My wife is a saint! :) She is the most forgiving person that I know!!

I know for a fact that your wife is just as forgiving! :) After the Kahuna broke, your wife let ya get a 180G :D :D

Now, as you are rebuilding... if you ever decide you want to spring $100 for a couple of quality solenoids, I've got everything else ou need setup an auto water change system. No charge for a friend. I'll even come set it up. I know you've got a lot to think about with regard to fish these days, but if you decide to make water changes a thing of the past, lemme know. I'll help!

Well ya better keep those solenoids handy! Thats exactly the path I am going to take when I start setting up a fish room in the basement my friend. Everything is indeed going to be plumbed an automated, and I would be honored to recieve help from you in this new venture!! :)

Those darn PRIORITIES anyway!!!!

:o :o