PDA

View Full Version : Ordering advice please

Bethanie
04-23-2008, 04:58 PM
Hello everyone,

Dose it matter how far away I order the discus from?

I'm looking to buy some discus most likely they will have to be shipped to me. Right now I live a bit out of the way in Oregon. Where ever I have lived mail doesn't usually arrive before 4pm and I know if it says 1-2 days it wont arrive to me until the 2nd day at least. There is an airport a relatively short drive away. Regular flights to Vegas and Mexico, so small but not just for those with a pilots license. Someone told me to make sure to order from this side of the Mississippi. I'd like to do this once and get it right, opinions welcome.

Elite Aquaria
04-23-2008, 05:04 PM
You want your fish to arrive within 24 hours of packing...Send me your zip code and I will let you know if I can get you fish within that time frame. 2 days is way to long for discus.

billeagan
04-23-2008, 05:45 PM
Definitely do your best to get your fish within twenty four hours. Delta Dash can sometimes get into the smallest of airports.

wgtaylor
04-24-2008, 02:31 PM
Bethanie,
I live in Brookings, Oregon. I found the only way to get fish here is to order them FedEx overnight to my address but have them "Hold for Pickup" in Medford FedEx next to the airport. I can then pick them up 8:30 am and get them home safely. Portland might be another choice for you for pickup. They deliver by truck from those airports and can take until 7pm and sometimes the next morning for delivery. That will give you a large range of breeders to order from. If I were you I would order from breeders on this forum that will provide you with excellent discus and they have great reputations. Before you order check livestock and product review on this forum. ....Bill

Bethanie
04-24-2008, 05:09 PM
Thanks everyone!
Definitely would want to do the pick up at office thing. Medford's real close.

So if I get shipped FedEx Overnight and have them "hold for pickup", I tell the shipper to tell FedEx when it's shipped out? Or call the local FedEx and tell them when I have the tracking #?

And if I do it the above way, can FedEx really have it overnight from anywhere in the U.S.?

magewynd
04-24-2008, 10:25 PM
Hi Bethanie,
I have done this quite a bit with fedex. Get the exact address from fedex or from wgtaylor for the Medford office. Have the shipper check the box "hold for pickup" with the office address. Fedex is usually calling me about the same time I am pulling in to their parking lot. If the shipper gets the order to them by their local cut off time there is usually no problem with getting your fish within 24 hours (barring weather or airport delays). Fedex has excellent package traking on line.

Thanks everyone!
Definitely would want to do the pick up at office thing. Medford's real close.

So if I get shipped FedEx Overnight and have them "hold for pickup", I tell the shipper to tell FedEx when it's shipped out? Or call the local FedEx and tell them when I have the tracking #?

And if I do it the above way, can FedEx really have it overnight from anywhere in the U.S.?

wgtaylor
04-25-2008, 01:39 AM
Bethanie, Tell the shipper you want the fish to be held for pickup. He will add this to the air bill,
Check box "Hold weekday at Fed-Ex location".
Two ship to lines on air bill;
1. Recipients address
Would be your address
2. FedEx location
FedEx Express Ship Center
3600 Terminal Spur Rd
Medford, OR 97504
The shipper will notify you when they ship then you should be at FedEx the following morning by 8:30 am. You should be able to get fish from anywhere overnight. Good luck, hope you get some great fish. ..Bill

Bethanie
04-28-2008, 10:19 PM
Thank you Thank you!

wgtaylor
04-28-2008, 11:18 PM
Bethanie, please update when you get your fish and post pictures when you have a chance. Would love to see what you get, thanks ..Bill

Apistomaster
05-05-2008, 04:34 PM
I live in Clarkston, WA. I have to ship in anything really interesting. The freight bills can suck the air out of my lungs but I get fish from NYC and Miami within 24 hours via FedEx. Only a few places in the lower 48 are more isolated than I. Nearest airport is Spokane, WA 100 miles/2 hour drive from me.