PDA

View Full Version : Growing out 3 inch Discus and Breeding Discus

Raggio
04-24-2008, 04:04 PM
Hello!!!! I would like to meet other hobbiest and learn more about Discus. I have 5 Discus in a 40 gallon tank. Three are stunted. I just bought two 3 inch Red Turquoise Discus from Discus Madness. I would like to know how to grow out Discus. My ultimate goal is to breed them. I currently feed them Beef Heart, Frozen Blood Worms and Freezed Dried Tubifex worms. How often should I feed them. How often should I do water changes. I currently use a Python and do a 30% water change about once a week. I know the eye of the fish is supposed to be small but how small? I would like to breed discus at what size do they breed. If they are 3 inches now how long will take for them to reach maturity. Thank you.

Sincerely

Ron

tedsdiscus
04-24-2008, 05:38 PM
Hi Ron,

Are the new discus going into the same 40G tank? The 40g is already too small for the 5 you had, that's one reason your fish are stunted. with the 7 combined, I would recommend nothing less than a 75G. As for breeding, the females will mature around 12 months, and couple months longer for the males. The diet you are using seems fine, but I would definitely up the water change schedule. At least 50% every third day is the minimum that I would go. If yopu can do more than that, the better.

good luck,

Ted

PS. I would also add some good quality flake food or tetra bits to their diet if possible.