PDA

View Full Version : What name of this discus

Marksdiscus
04-24-2008, 05:28 PM
Would somebody please tell me, how i can call this discus.They 3.5" size.
Thanks. Mark

kaceyo
04-24-2008, 05:53 PM
They appear to be some kind of pigeon cross. Pigeons normaly don't have any stress bars but I see faded incomplete bars. Other than that it's hard to say what they are. Interesting spots but they may end up as lines in a pattern as the fish grow.
Where did you get them?

Kacey

Marksdiscus
04-24-2008, 06:05 PM
They discus from this pair.

alron2
04-24-2008, 07:46 PM
How about "Brilliant Pigeon"?
Ron

tdr1919
04-24-2008, 08:00 PM
Wow! I thought there would be much more peppering from a Turq & pidgeon cross.

Tom

kaceyo
04-24-2008, 08:28 PM
Cool! Red Spotted Pigeons. Cross them back to that spotted and see what you get.

Kacey

April
04-24-2008, 09:26 PM
they look pretty good..alot of time whenyou cross blues with pigeons you get alot of pepper. might be how they got the blue pigeons. keep growing them see whatthey become

Marksdiscus
04-24-2008, 11:33 PM
Thank You, guys

ShinShin
04-25-2008, 12:28 AM
When strains are crossed, the offspring are called hybrids and ought to be named as such:

male strain X female strain hybrid.

If the male is the red turquois and the female a marlboro red (if that is what it is), then it is a red turquois X marlboro red hybrid. The male strain is designated first followed by the female. If the male is the marlboro and female is red turquois, then it would follow that the offspring would be called MR X RT hybrid. If you would sell these offspring on Aquabid, here, or a LFS, they need to be properly named so the people know what they are buying.

Of course, with all the hodge-podge interbreeding being done, no one really knows what they are getting unless they buy from an old school breeder who keep their strains pure. If you buy a Wattley turquois from Wattley, you know you got a turquois. Buy a MR or RT from Hans, you know you got a Stendker MR or RT.

Mat