PDA

View Full Version : When Otos Attack

Surferdave
04-25-2008, 12:00 AM
Has anyone had experience with Otos chasing down their discus to suck on the mucous? My discus are on constant red alert when the otos start swarming around them. Does this behavior ever stop, or is it best to get them outta there. Thanks!

David

White Worm
04-25-2008, 12:30 AM
Once they get a taste for discus slime, its time to boot them. Discus can get stressed by constantly being chased and always having to avoid the fast swimmers.

ShinShin
04-25-2008, 12:31 AM
Yes, take them out of your tank, or lose your discus to an opportunistic pathogen that it will surely get from being constantly stressed.

Mat

digthemlows
04-25-2008, 11:32 PM
I had six ottos in my tank for 3 months with no problems, then the smallest otto started chasing the discus to suck on them............he's in my shrimp tank now and the other ottos don't bug the discus................get him out!

Darrell Ward
04-25-2008, 11:59 PM
The only problem I have with otos is keeping them in the tank, and out of my overflows and sump. Little buggers! :D

Hans Kloss
04-26-2008, 03:53 PM
IMHO otos "attack" is a sign of discus excessive mucus production. It is usually not a problem with healthy red/brown strains but if blue/green strains are kept in basic and hard water then they defend their skin with excessive slime coat and this way provoke otos to feed on it.
Hans

ShinShin
04-26-2008, 08:11 PM
Hmmm, Hans, I see it a little differently. To me, it tells me there is not enough natural food for the oto's. I had problems with these sucker fish everytime I have used them. They would even attack schools of Apsito and Ram fry when they first became free swimming. That was a real surprise to me.

Mat

digthemlows
04-26-2008, 10:43 PM
I still have 5 in my tank and they don't touch the discus, in fact I've got a couple discus doing the dance and turning dark with extra slime for a spawn and the ottos are still not bothering them.........it was just the one..........

Surferdave
04-28-2008, 01:02 AM
I've had to take out a total 3 Otos out of my tank so far. I've had a total of 12, and now I'm down to 9. Hopefully it's not a situation where I'll end up having to take all of them out. Discus definitely seem happier with them out.

D.

BSW
04-28-2008, 06:16 AM
I have four, one of the four was a "sucker" he got removed. The other three don't ever do it. :confused:
B

Apistomaster
04-28-2008, 07:46 AM
I have had a few Otocinclus make passes at sucking on the sides of discus but it has never been serious enough to present a threat. My interpretation of that behavior was that they just instinctively check out any broad surface and it was not an act of aggression. I have had them do the same thing when my arm was in their tank. I guess there is always an exception to everything.

I have seen Siamese Algae Eaters and large Sturisoma make attacks that are harmful and I wouldn't recommend either for a discus tank although I bet that a lot of people ave never had any trouble from their SAE's. Even juvenile Sturisoma 2 inches long will actively pursue 2 inch discus.( I have been noticing it lately in one tank.) Once one does it the others seem to learn to do it. Yet in an adjacent tank with some of the same group of discus the Sturisoma have been well behaved. I would separate them if any damage was occurring but the discus are being shipped out this week so I am not going to bother. Those Sturisoma can be hard to catch.