PDA

View Full Version : Update On Discus From Kenny..

crazy4discus
04-25-2008, 12:16 AM
I just wanted to show everyone an update of some discus that i got from Kenny who got them from Tony Tan.. I receive these lss late last June.. And i got a question for anyone esle who also has lss that was from tony tan.. The question is how long does it take for them to get there spots? I have had mines for 9 months now and they have some spottings but not as much as i would like.. And i have 2 that barely has any spottings at all.. So if anyone knows the answer please let me know.. First pics are of the discus after i had them for about 2 months then the rest were just taking tonight.. I also posted pics of some discus that i received on tuesday from kenny's april shipment.. All comments are welcome..

crazy4discus
04-25-2008, 12:18 AM
Here are tonights pixs and the update on these lss from tony tan..

crazy4discus
04-25-2008, 12:18 AM
some more..

crazy4discus
04-25-2008, 12:19 AM
and the rest..

crazy4discus
04-25-2008, 12:20 AM
here are the pictures of the new discus from the forrest april shipment..

crazy4discus
04-25-2008, 12:21 AM
couple more..

Elite Aquaria
04-25-2008, 12:29 AM
That is a very tough question but I will give a shoot at answering.

First of all not all LLS will spot up 100%. If 100% would spot up then the price would be $18 for a 2.5" fish.

Second it takes a good 12-16 months for them to fully spot up...My Sunrise Eruptions are still spotting up and they are around 14 months old now.

Third you must feed them natural astaxanthin which can be purchase at Jehmco ==> http://www.jehmco.com/html/powders__spirulina___plankton.html

When I purchased my Sunrise Eruptions I knew that not all would be championship fish...I bought 10...3 out of 10 have gill plate spotting...6 out of 10 have good spotting and 4 out of the 10 have not spotted that well...It is the nature of the beast.

crazy4discus
04-25-2008, 12:39 AM
Hi Elite! Well i have not been feeding them the natural astaxanthin so i will go ahead and order some to feed them.. And what do you mean by if a 100 percent spotted discus at 2.5 would cost 18.00? I paid 60 a piece for these guys at 2.5-3.0 inches.. But thanks for the information i will buy some of the natural astaxanthin and start feeding them that to see if i see anymore spotting..

Elite Aquaria
04-25-2008, 12:46 AM
what do you mean by if a 100 percent spotted discus at 2.5 would cost 18.00? I paid 60 a piece for these guys at 2.5-3.0 inches...

The new shipment looks great...I see that April is taking care of you up there. The point I was trying to make my friend was that not all will be championship fish with 100% coverage. If it were this common then the price of the fish would go down to the same as a common discus. Man you got a break...I paid $90 each for mine...;)

crazy4discus
04-25-2008, 12:50 AM
Hey Elite! I think you might have mistaken.. I got all of these Discus from Kenny not April.. And for the new guy's i also got them From Kenny from his April's Forrest Shipment of fishes.. And thanks for the info once again.. I really like my fishes it would just be nice to see a little more spotting on them.. I do not care if its 100 percent just have some good spotting.. So i will go and buy the Natural Astaxanthin and see how that helps.. Thank you and good night!

Kenny's Discus
04-25-2008, 01:13 AM
Dan, thanks for the explanation and you're right on the money. Truly appreciated your effort my friend.:)

David, though I'm no expert Dan is correct...this is indeed a difficult question to answer but here's mine: not all spotted LSS frys will fully spotted up when adults...in fact I've been told by some asian breeders that it's actually more difficult to breed spotteds as compared to breeding other common strains which breeds more true. In the end it's all about %.

Also, most Red or Spotted strains require Astaxanthin to maintain or intensify their red color/spots...but only if having brighter red fish is what you want first...it is not a necessity to feed by any means but I think when you bring up the question that is your preference right David? Astaxanthin is best fed when they were young also. Anyway try feeding them that and in a few weeks see if you notice any difference. Now remember the dosage of Astaxanthin that you use will also determine how red they will become, if they do carry the spotting genetics in the first place but have not expressed it yet.

Either way I think you did a great job raising them out, I like their body shapes a lot!:) The 2 Red Golden Diamonds were actually much redder when they were in my tanks...did you take the photo of the latest group when they first arrived, first thing in the morning, or right after a water change?:p

Thanks David and Dan,

Kenny

Elite Aquaria
04-25-2008, 01:13 AM
I see...I my misunderstanding...the fish look great just add the astaxanthin and you will see a major improvement. Also add some SPIRULINA MICRON POWDER...and make your mix with some Fresh Shrimp...here is a link to the food I prepare...

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=62523&highlight=elite%27s+blend

Elite Aquaria
04-25-2008, 01:19 AM
Kenny brings up a very important point...I feed my fry astaxanthin once they reach about 1 month. I have done experiments with this and have found that when feed the astaxanthin as a juve the fish will color up more when it reaches adulthood. Start the new reds/spots you just got ASAP.

crazy4discus
04-25-2008, 02:14 AM
Thank you for the info kenny and elite.. I will try you recipe elite.. Will make a batch next week and see if it makes a difference in a couple weeks or not.. Thank you once again guys..

Elite Aquaria
04-25-2008, 06:30 AM
David,

You can call me Dan...:D

crazy4discus
04-25-2008, 09:35 AM
Sorry Dan lol... Well i just ordered the NATURAL ASTAXANTHIN POWDER and the SPIRULINA MICRON POWDER.. So once it arrives here i will make your recipe to feed my discus.. Thanks once again Dan for allt he information..

Elite Aquaria
04-25-2008, 02:20 PM
Anytime my friend...

ivo
04-25-2008, 09:38 PM
hi david, i hope you don't mind that i steal your post to ask a question.

hi ken or dan, could i please ask you guys a question in regard to spotting. i bought a LSS about 6 months ago it has a lot of spots on it's body, say 80-90% and it has a maroon red body base color. one month later, about 70% of the spots disappeared and body color return to a pale grey color. it is a 5 inch adult fish but it's immune system is not that strong since it is always the first one to get sick like gill fluke or it will always be the first one to have internal worms. would it be fair to say that it was actually hormone fed to bring out all the spots? also, would it be fair to say it will pretty much remain looking like now with very few spots? i use those. asx. natural red color enhancer you mentioned in this post but obviously didn't work on it. thanks guys. ivo.

crazy4discus
04-25-2008, 11:06 PM
Hi there Ivo i do not mind at all.. I would also like to hear the answer to your question if anyone does know.. That does not sound good if your discus is losing spots.. I hope someone will give you an answer..

SriAngel
04-26-2008, 02:07 AM
Lol Dan i kinda like that, can i call you Elite! 2? It after all is one word that encompasses the fish your produce.

Elite Aquaria
04-26-2008, 08:58 AM
Angel,

Thanks...please call me Sr. Elite...lol