PDA

View Full Version : Fish thinning.

Surferdave
04-25-2008, 01:38 PM
I have moved my last "sick" fish to a hospital tank. Of the 8 fish in my tank, this was the first to get sick and last to recover. Original symptoms were clamped fins, scratching, mucous shedding and frayed fins. I treated with Metro and other protozoan/bacterial medication. It didn't make sense to continue medicating the large tank if he was the only one still sick. I have turned up the temperature in the hospital tank to 88 degrees, added salt. He was feeding sparingly in the show tank, but didn't eat this morning in the hospital tank. He looks thinner, his head seems to be thinning in, and he looks more frail. Any thoughts on diagnosis and treatment? If I lose him I'll be bummed, but am glad the others are fine. Hopefully I can save him. Thanks!

Dave.

Don Trinko
04-25-2008, 02:57 PM
I hate to be the bearer of bad news and there are many who know a lot more than I do but... I have never had any luck curing a fish once the body starts to thin. Some say that there is a problem with internal organs shutting down. I had this happen to 2 fish and they both died. I have another fish that apears to be doing the same thing. ( only eats FBW and now won't eat them anymore.) Other fish in the same tank grew and are healthy.
Maybe someone can offer a ray of hope. Don T.

aquagal
04-25-2008, 04:31 PM
I currently have a fish in the same condition. It used to be the strongest, most dominant fish and a voracious eater. It stopped eating about a month ago and is just wasting away. None of my treatments have helped. I will probably be euthanizing this weekend :(

Surferdave
04-25-2008, 05:28 PM
Wow, sounds hopeless. Is it parasites, worms? By seperating him into another tank, he shouldn't be stressed with the other fish chasing him etc., so I figure he sh ould eat more, I don't get it. What a sad way to go..... but that's what it seems like. Wasting away.

D.

aquagal
04-25-2008, 05:45 PM
In my case, I believe this fish was badly infested with worms that were killed when I treated w/ levamisole and got trapped in his gut. Of course, I can't confirm this for sure, it's just my suspicion. After the levamisole treatment, he started to get a bloated look. Another fish (who was also not eating), reacted well to the levamisole and now appears totally fine? This fish, along with the 4 others I got from a sponsor of this site, had many other issues (flukes, tapeworms) that I think contributed to a weakened immune system. I feel sorry for the little guy...

Surferdave
04-28-2008, 02:27 PM
Seems as though the quarantined fish in my tank is doing a little better. He is eating more regularly, although not aggressively, fins still look pretty tattered and frayed, if I get a good pic, I can post it for you. The fish is still thin and skeleton like, definitely not a healthy fat discus. Does anyone else have ideas what it could be?

Surferdave
05-02-2008, 01:45 PM
So it seems like my quarantined discus is making a full recovery, he is eating well with 50% water changes in the hospital tank every day. Right now he is at about 3 inches, and seems to be doing much better without the competition from the other fish in the main tank. Would it be possible for me to continue growing him out in a 10 gallon tank? Will having a smaller environment cause stunting? He's definitely a little lonely, but I know adding him back to the 60 gallon right away will result in his butt getting kicked. Any thoughts? It's just changing out water in a 10 gallon tank for a 3" fish is soooo easy, so if he's able to thrive, and maybe get up to 4-4.5" I'd be happy. Also having been sick for 2 weeks, is there a good chance this may have resulted in stunting? His head definitely thinned and ate sparingly for about 1.5 weeks.

D.

Don Trinko
05-02-2008, 02:38 PM
While I'm not recomending 10g permanently it is the water quality and feeding ( also genetics) that make them grow.
If the fish it eating well you probably saved it. If it were me I would try to get it realy healthy before putting it back and then watch closely to make sure it is holding it's own. Don T.

Surferdave
05-02-2008, 02:47 PM
The fish is not eating to the same standards as the fish in my main tank, a part of it might have to do with lack of competition, so he takes his time. But nontheless, he is eating everything I give him, and leaving with a nice full stomach. I figure with him in a bare bottom, I can push feedings and water changes to speed up his growth compared to those in the planted tank, and add him when he's at a size where he'll hold his own a little better. So theoretically, it's possible to grow out a discus in a 10?

D.

Don Trinko
05-02-2008, 05:56 PM
In theory, yes If you have ever seen a fish farm where they raise fish for food they are way overcrowded by our standards but they have elaborate filtration , they have the capability of large WC and they know how much to feed.
As the fish grows that 10g will look awfull small but in priciple with clean water and good food they will grow in any tank. HOWEVER it is more forgiving in a bigger tank. In a 10g overfeeding, dirty water, will cause big trouble in a hurry. Don T.

Surferdave
05-02-2008, 06:49 PM
Don,

Thanks for the advice. I'll probably keep him in there till he seems really solid health wise, and then move the heater, sponge filter and fish to a 25-30 to grow him out. Thanks!