PDA

View Full Version : Fry Size Development

msn
04-26-2008, 12:02 PM
Hi Guys, my blue turks have spawned 1.5 mths ago and so far there are around 30 fry surviving :) Most of the fry are around 1 cm in size. I thought
im could be happy with that but when I visited the local fish farm, they had
most of their fry at 1 inch in size and of the same age. Anybody can help to enlighten me on the fry size development? Are my fry under nourished? How often should I be feeding and the WC? I am still feeding them with BBS.

Elite Aquaria
04-26-2008, 12:48 PM
At 4 weeks your fry should be Approx 1 inch and by 8 weeks they should be 2 inches. I can have a fish at 2.5 inches in approx 10-12 weeks. I feed every time I go into fish room. At least 5-6 times per day for fry. BBS, homemade blend and blood worms.

Tropical Haven
04-26-2008, 08:02 PM
Also you need frequent water changes from once a day to twice a day depending how many fish are in what size of tank.

Lee C
04-26-2008, 08:08 PM
An inch per month up to 3 months from my experience if the genetics of the parent fish are very good.
Takes alot of work and dedication to growout young discus up to 2.5 inch at a rapid rate, but it is crucial for later development.:)

kaceyo
04-26-2008, 08:13 PM
At this point I'd suggest that you cull the fry and let the pair spawn again. It may sound cruel but I think it's more so to try to grow them while they are so far behind and under developed. They will never be healthy and thrive IMO.
In the mean time, read up on raising fry so you know when and how to switch them onto frozen foods from BBS etc etc.
Good luck,

Kacey

msn
04-27-2008, 12:27 AM
Cull them ... Hmm ... its like my first experience raising fry and quite abrupt for me .... I'll try to feed them more often like what Dan practices ie 5 to 6 times/day and have 2x WC. i'll monitor for another week to c their development ... if no changes then might jump to doing the culling.... We'll update you guys again.

Thanks Guys

CliffsDiscus
04-28-2008, 12:54 PM
At 1.5 month the fry should be larger. Try more waterchanges on the next spawning and more feeding. Are the fry all the same or near the same size?

Cliff

msn
04-29-2008, 09:43 PM
Hi Cliff,

The fry are irregular in sizes with the smallest at 1 cm only and largest 2 cm. I have been doing 2x WC for the past 3 days and monitoring cloesly.

MostlyDiscus
04-29-2008, 11:14 PM
Hi, How are you producing your water? RO? You may want to see what your KH is. You may need some calcium in the water. Just a thought. Ed

msn
05-01-2008, 05:50 AM
The water is staright from my tap. In Singapore, tap water is almost neutral, PH:7 and 0 ammonia. Im not sure bout KH reading and its effects. But I will do a KH measurement tonight. Thanks.