PDA

View Full Version : Removing parents from fry.

discus_north
04-30-2008, 07:26 AM
At what stage should you remove parents from fry.

I currenly have a female penag eruption with fry at the 4.5 week stage.

I have on slider(swim bladder problem) and one fry die yestarday (possibly gill flukes).

Should i put the fry into a new tank and remove the female, male has already been removed at 2 week stage.

Also feeding on live brime shrimp, which the fry love, but can't get them to eat anything else.

Tried:-

1) Blended beef heart.
2) zma 100 & 200
3) Tetra prima baby food

any advice, cheers stephen.

Elite Aquaria
04-30-2008, 07:30 AM
I like to remove the fry at around 3 weeks...if I wait until 4 weeks the parents get eaten alive by the fry and it takes a few weeks for them to recover. I feed frozen blood worms and my blend...(do a search on "Elite's Blend"). I just start to feed the parents and eventually the fry start to eat.

discus_north
04-30-2008, 07:42 AM
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=62523&highlight=Elite%27s+Blend

Cheers dan

dishpanhands
04-30-2008, 08:00 AM
I get my fry to eat frozen Daphnia...They love it..I get them on it as soon as possible..
Here is a link to what it looks like..

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+7927+8038+8891&pcatid=8891

discus_north
04-30-2008, 01:30 PM
Just what i was looking for, you can also buy live one in the uk from.

http://www.fishandfins.co.uk/live-aquarium-food.htm

cheers stephen.

discus_north
05-01-2008, 04:04 PM
Tryed to remove fry from parents at four weeks, but fry started to die, and would not eat.

Moved them back with the mother in new clean tank.
Mother was dipped in Formalyn/Malachite for 1 miniute, before re-introducing to the fry.

I have also put a week 5ml of Formalyn/Malachite in 250 litre tank, to try and stop gill flukes.

Lost a few more fry, fry that are left, seem please to see there mum. Mother is in good health.

What should i do next?

I planning on leaving with mother for another week, until the fry are more confidant in eating.

Tank temp is 29 Cent, in 1 day aged HMA water PH 6.5.

Feeding on live brime shrimp, as there not intrested in beef heart mix.

cheers stephen.

Moon
05-01-2008, 04:47 PM
I would feed the fry bbs while mum is in with them. When they start feeding regularly on bbs and other food remove mum.
I took the parents out when the fry were 4 weeks old. But made sure that they were feeding on prepared food before taking parents out.
Mine also eat frozen bs and bw. It takes a while but they will get the hang of it soon.

discus_north
05-02-2008, 03:53 AM
Started with 18 fry now down to 8.
Formalyn/Malachite seems to have worked, there now looking alot more active.
The will feed on live BBS no problem.

I think if i had not returned to the mum, they would have all died.

I think some of the problem, was with me overfeeding the fry, and poluting the water.

Also tank is now nice and shiny, probably had bacteria bulid up on the sides of the tank.

So i will try grated blood worm and daphnia on one feed and them bbs on the rest, with smaller food portions more regular.

cheers stephen.

troyclark
05-10-2008, 08:16 PM
Try taking some flake food and crushing it to a powder. It works for me..

HTH

Elite Aquaria
05-10-2008, 08:56 PM
Feed them BBS at day 5...by day 7 they should be eating it a lot...by the third week they should start eating frozen prepared food...if not they need to be feed BBS 6-7 times per day. By the third week they do not need to be in with the parents any longer. They need daily water changes with water the same temp and ph as tank...If you over feed the ammonia will kill the fry. Good luck...Call me if you have detailed questions and I will help you out 954.385.9106