PDA

View Full Version : Seeding Sponge Filters

saroberts
04-30-2008, 10:27 PM
I've added two Hydro III sponge filters to my 65 gal bb tank with my discus.

It currently has two Hydro 5 sponge filters that have been since I started it up about 16 months ago.

My question is, how long before I can move the Hydro III's to new tanks? They are 30 gallon. One will have German rams, plecos, and corys to it, the other will be my pleco grow out tank?

I thought I saw something at one time that said a week was enough, but haven't been able to find it again.

Does anyone remember seeing the thread?

Steve

Graham
04-30-2008, 10:59 PM
You wil not get enough nitrifiers in a week to amount to anything...........Only so much NH3 is being produced and the current sponges are handling all of it.

With the new sponges running......Take the current sponges and wring them out right into the tank. Yes,The water will look like crap for several hours maybe longer. This will dislodge some existing bacteria and hopefully give a good seeding to the new ones...let all of them run for several weeks ...

Even then you'll probably get a spike in the new tank

G

White Worm
05-01-2008, 01:27 AM
Why not just take one of the seasoned sponges...put it in the new 30g..instant cycle? Put the new one in the old ones place in the 65g. You will at least be able to have one of the tanks up and running. Just do a large water change before hand in the 65g. I think it would have the same affect as if you did a decent filter cleaning and a large water change normally in the 65g. You would have to wait for the other tank though.

korbi_doc
05-01-2008, 10:29 AM
Why not just take one of the seasoned sponges...put it in the new 30g..instant cycle? Put the new one in the old ones place in the 65g. You will at least be able to have one of the tanks up and running. Just do a large water change before hand in the 65g. I think it would have the same affect as if you did a decent filter cleaning and a large water change normally in the 65g. You would have to wait for the other tank though.

I do the same as Mikscus....always have sev'l extra sponge filters in tanks to help with new ones, just take one of the seasoned sponges (or 2 if large stocking) & place in new tank with new filter as well...new ones will be seasoned in a few weeks...also replace the seasoned ones in 1st tank with new ones & so it goes on & on....always ready.....

dishpanhands
05-01-2008, 01:32 PM
I too run a new filter in a community tank for about three weeks to get it seeded..Most of the time I keep one running in a tanks some were just in case I have to start a hospital tank..