PDA

View Full Version : Discus Questions..

cityguy
05-05-2008, 05:02 AM
Are some strains of Discus tougher and better than the others ? Someone was telling me that Snakeskin ones are the best of the lot.. true ?

Also, is it ok to have Clown Loaches with Discus in the same tank ?

Please advice.. Thanks.

:o

RyanH
05-05-2008, 12:06 PM
For the most part they're all pretty much the same until you get into some of the wild-caught strains, like Heckels.

IME some of the newer strains are sometimes a bit weak genetically but get stronger as breeders work with them for awhile. This resulted in crappy parenting instincts, disappointing growth rates, etc. This seemed to be the case with some of the spotted strains when they were first introduced.

I'd recommend keeping your Discus by themselves until you learn how to keep them properly. Otherwise you're introducing a lot of different variables that can cause you problems and frustration.

Welcome to Simply. :)

Ryan

cityguy
05-05-2008, 12:36 PM
For the most part they're all pretty much the same until you get into some of the wild-caught strains, like Heckels.

IME some of the newer strains are sometimes a bit weak genetically but get stronger as breeders work with them for awhile. This resulted in crappy parenting instincts, disappointing growth rates, etc. This seemed to be the case with some of the spotted strains when they were first introduced.

I'd recommend keeping your Discus by themselves until you learn how to keep them properly. Otherwise you're introducing a lot of different variables that can cause you problems and frustration.

Welcome to Simply. :)

Ryan

Thanks Ryan for your advice, I have 3 Red ones, and wish to add 2 more, what do you suggest, adding the same colors (red) or maybe snakeskin or yellow.. :argue:

RyanH
05-05-2008, 03:01 PM
I'd say size is more important than strain when trying to put a group together. Discus are pretty much Discus. Whether they have spots, striations, or solid colors their temperament will be similar.

It's always best to get a group from the same source at the same time. If this isn't possible, make sure you quarantine new arrivals for at least a month. Six weeks is better.

I would also plan on having a group of at least 6. The larger the group the better IME. Discus are calmer in larger groups and aggression is spread around more.

hth:)

Ryan

Apistomaster
05-05-2008, 04:08 PM
If you hope to raise discus then I recommend starting with just one strain. Mongrels are not easy to sell so avoid unwanted crosses.

Armandi_Fishcarer
05-08-2008, 10:33 PM
Hi CityGuy

Are some strains of Discus tougher and better than the others ? Someone was telling me that Snakeskin ones are the best of the lot.. true ?1st ? depends on many factors, namely how close they are to the wild strain(the closer the bloodline the harder they are too keep for beginners & some experienced), how they are kept(conditions), how they are fed etc... although just for a general guidline as stated with size try get them at the same size so adaption would be easier. :D

Some smaller Discus can handle bigger 1's although this generally has some side-affects such as the smaller not being able to get enough food for growth, and may get a little harrassed. ;)

Regards Armandi ;)