PDA

View Full Version : Discuss how you try to simulate wild discus diets.

Apistomaster
05-05-2008, 01:48 PM
Hi All,
I'll begin this with what I use in beef heart blends and why, then some isolated experiments with available fruits and terrestrial plant blossoms.
Beef heart: I believe cardiac muscle tissue resembles that of worms. It is very different from skeletal muscle tissue.
I add about a tspn of Spirulina powder and 2 tbsns of FD CylopEeze to each blender full of mix.
These is intended to simulate the phytoplankton and zooplankton discus forage from the detritus they sift at the bottom. I fold in by hand about 5 g of dried seaweed crumbled up first to further increase the vegetable content.
I also fold in quite a lot of FD blood worms and earth worm flakes. The FD blood worms are an excellent source of protein but it is their chitinous skeletons that I really want to add. Earthworm flakes are just plain good food. I fold these ingredients in by hand to prevent their structure from being broken down.
The finished beef heart blend is actually about 60% beef heart by volume and the combined other foods make up the other 40%. All my wild discus and red turquoise eat this mix well.

It has also gone over rather well with my carnivorous Hypancistrus spp, Peckoltia sp L134 and their fry and my Sturisoma. I raise these things both because I like them and they are easy to sell but also because I have to keep fish that ride out the heat of our Summers which often exceed 110*F for a few weeks and my fish are exposed to temps in the high 80's for some time.

Please post your food experiments and reasons for using what you do.

Now that Spring has arrived, I have been experimenting with various blossoms from shrubbery from my yard. So far mainly Lilac blossoms. My Heckel Discus eat them after they have had a few days of floating in their tank. They seem to eat soften blossoms rather than fresh picked.

I haven't tried mangos or other tropical fruits out yet.

bavaria36
05-05-2008, 03:50 PM
Great thread. I've been wanting to discuss this for some time.

My personal opinion is that in the wild, discus are really feeding on detrital matter as opposed to fresh fruits and plants. This detrital matter is clearly made up mainly of plant material which accounts for what has been noticed in the gut content analyses of the wild caught fish.

This form of food is difficult to simulate in the aquarium and when we offer fresh plant matter or fruits we don't get a very enthusiastic response from our wilds. Like yourself Larry, I have noticed that if I leave the fruits or plant in the tank for a couple of days it gets eaten eventually.

Yesterday I experimented with strawberries. I mashed them up and added some Tetra Microcrab granules to encourage the fish to eat. They did try out the strawberries but spat it out most of the time. They seemed to prefer the really small bits.

However an hour later quite a lot of it was gone so they must have browsed while I was out of the fish room. A few weeks ago I left some romaine lettuce leaves in the tank and they nibbled in that too for a while.

My next experiment will be similar to Larry's. Rather than try and get them to eat the fruit or plants directly I will try and increase the proportion of fruits in my BH mix

Aaron

Apistomaster
05-05-2008, 04:38 PM
Hi Aaron,
I also think that most of the terrestrial plants and fruits discus eat are those that have decayed and sunk to the bottom. This still explains why they tend to be found under certain shrubs and how the stuff ends up in their gut. I also suspect that this fruit attracts benthic aquatic animals that discus also eat.