PDA

View Full Version : deworming

crash
05-05-2008, 07:46 PM
Hi,
Can someone be kind enough to explain how to conduct deworming of a fish. I seem to be getting the internal parasite infection quite often. I have done full cycles of metro as advised on this website and on others.

Is deworming something that i need to perform at regular intervals?

Thank you in advance,
amol

bavaria36
05-05-2008, 08:57 PM
There's more than one way to do it but here is a link to a very comprehensive write up about using Levimasole HCL to deworm your fish.

http://www.loaches.com/disease-treatment/levamisole-hydrochloride-1

By the way, are you using Metro as a dewormer ? I think that Metro is mainly used against flagellates not as a dewormer.

Aaron

crash
05-05-2008, 09:06 PM
No i am using metro to cure the internal parasite. one of the discus in the tank is excreating white poop and has stopped eating.
For some reason i keep getting that in my tank. I think one of my other discus is a carrier for the worms. So i figured i should do a deworming.
thank you for the article.
I have heard though that the perticular medication Levimasole isnt available in canada.
is there anythign else i can use.
thank you

dawncollette
05-05-2008, 09:31 PM
prazipro, or praziquental can be used for deworming as well

bavaria36
05-05-2008, 09:43 PM
No i am using metro to cure the internal parasite. one of the discus in the tank is excreating white poop and has stopped eating.
For some reason i keep getting that in my tank. I think one of my other discus is a carrier for the worms. So i figured i should do a deworming.
thank you for the article.
I have heard though that the perticular medication Levimasole isnt available in canada.
is there anythign else i can use.
thank you

http://www.simplydiscus.com/library/disease_medications/medicine_cabinet/deworm.shtml

there are some other articles on the site . If you do a quick search you should be able to find them.

Aaron

crash
05-05-2008, 09:51 PM
thank you for quick replies.
So do i use this every certain months. is this used as a bath as it is recommended on their site or i can soak it in food.
thank you
Amol

Graham
05-06-2008, 08:12 AM
Once you've done a round of de=worming thier should be no reason to do it again unless you've introduced a posible new source.

Metro works mainly on hexamita and nothing else and it shouldn't need to be used all the time either.

White feces are a symptom of a problem with the gut and not neccessarily just Hex. Look for possible other problems

G

crash
05-06-2008, 09:31 AM
will one round of prazi pro for the entire tank cure the problems once and for all?

Graham
05-06-2008, 09:34 AM
Generally a second treatment is done 7 to 8 days later

crash
05-06-2008, 02:24 PM
is there anything that i can mix with their food or Can prazipro be mixed with food.
thank you,
Amol

Graham
05-06-2008, 02:50 PM
You can get peperzine from a vet and mix it............. I can't remember the dose mind you.

The Prazi Pro will work fine

Discus-Hans
05-07-2008, 12:23 AM
Put some poo under a microscope so you know what to tread for,

Hans

crash
05-07-2008, 02:04 PM
I dont have a microsope unfortunatly. It wasnt part of the Discus getting started guide :)

crash
05-09-2008, 11:42 AM
can i mix Hakari prazi pro with food?

MostlyDiscus
05-09-2008, 01:40 PM
Crash, I am using proz in the water as of last night. 800 gallon system. I did soak some live brine shrimp as well in proz and put a few drops on turkey heart mix. No worms yet but I will keep you posted. If I make it home soon I will update(hopefully none are floaters) Ed

freestylez_14
05-11-2008, 11:04 PM
hi, how can you tell if there is worms inside the discus's belly?