PDA

View Full Version : Hurray to Kenny and me

tedsdiscus
05-10-2008, 04:50 PM
Hello everyone,

About 6 months ago I bought four Wayne Ng LSS from Kenny, very beautiful bulldogs. About 2 weeks ago I decided take them all out the show tank and put them into a 75G with a known pigeon male. Low and behold, to my surprise, I got 2 pairs in a week.
Thank you Kenny for the great LSS's. I've personally have never seen better fish.
Anyhow, today the PB and my female LSS (named " HeShe" by my daughter) have a ton of frys attached to them. I'm guessing at the very least 150 frys. BTW, the reason my daughter named her that is because we both were sure she was a male from her size alone. She is pushing 7".

My question for the experts, because I've never done this cross before, is what will the fry grow up to look like? In general.

Thank you for your wisdom and for viewing my post.

Ted

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll59/tedsdiscus/HeSheandPB2.jpg
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll59/tedsdiscus/HeSheandPB3.jpg
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll59/tedsdiscus/worm001-1.jpg

Tropical Haven
05-10-2008, 10:57 PM
Congrats on your new pairs, not sure what the cross will bring but I am sure someone will help you out.

albatrozz
05-11-2008, 01:14 AM
very nice fish grats on the new pair. Out of curiosity did they get it right the first time they spawned? My pair has spawned 3 times in the last 3 weeks and still hasn't had any fry free swimming. Good luck with the fry.

Solo707
05-11-2008, 01:26 AM
Nice fish...congrats on being a new Daddy!! I got a couple of leopards from Kenny myself and only hope to get a pair with the 6 total fish in my community tank...care to share some of the secrets of your setup? You know...water quality, tank size, feeding regiment...fill us in on all the good stuff. Enquiring minds want to know!

tedsdiscus
05-11-2008, 02:32 AM
Thank you everyone for the kind words.

Solo, I think you will find that everybody on this forum is extremely helpful with "secrets."

I personally just make sure my RO:tap mix makes roughly 100MS on the conductivity meter, set the temp at 86, give them a sponge filter and a brick or breeding cone, and they do the rest.

I check on the 4th-6th day to make sure when the fry are free swimming and remove the sponge and the cone, and the fry just attach to the parents. The day after, I give them the sponge back.

I don't think it's a secret, just some pairs are easier than others. I've had pairs go for 10 spawns before getting it right. These last two pairs are both sitting on 150+ clutch right off the bat. So I think sometimes you get it, sometimes you don't. Just the way nature works I guess.

Please feel free to PM me with questions, I'm always happy to help.

Ted

Kenny's Discus
05-11-2008, 02:59 AM
Hi Ted, congrats on your new spawn and thank you for your kind comments. It's been a while how are you doing?:) When you have some time drop me a call so that we could catch up a bit!

IMO this cross will probably not be the most desirable cross because you're crossing pigeons to barred, and it mostly depends on how "clean" your pigeon is. On the other hand your pigeon does look pretty clean(when carrying frys he's still considered to be quite clean imo) so I would look for some clean "Snake Pigeons" frys from this cross if possible. You might even get some spotted pigeons but you probably will need to keep most of the batch to see the spotting developed if feasible. Either way since this is an unrelated cross shape on the frys should be very nice just remember to keep the water quality high and feed them often with all your goodies, well you know the drill Ted.:)

Thanks again Ted, I'm looking forward to checking in with you soon.

Take care my friend and all the best to your breeding program.

Kenny

tedsdiscus
05-11-2008, 03:13 AM
Thank you Kenny,

I wasn't sure what would come out of them, but since they wanted to "do it" I didn't want to stop them. Even if the fry are not all that pretty, I'm sure some of the neighborhood kids would love some free fish for pets. I'm just happy to have HESHE spawn, she's so beautiful in my opinion.

Thanx Kenny, I'll call you soon.

Ted

Kenny's Discus
05-11-2008, 03:23 AM
Ted, I didn't mean to say your frys won't be good looking my friend.;) I honestly think you might still get a % of nicely patterned pigeons from this cross, just look for the clean ones with stronger color/pattern expressed at around 3". Again shapes on these F1's should be pretty awesome. I totally understand what you mean by letting them "do it" lol...a pair of discus in love is no kidding matter.:D:D

Thanks Ted, talk to you soon! I forgot to say earlier that by giving my opinion I'm definitely no expert by any means...just forgot to put the disclaimer my friend lol.

Kenny