PDA

View Full Version : Will this turn into a problem?

numinous
05-12-2008, 12:10 PM
My Oriental Leopard Dream x Venus Leopard pair have spawned every 6-7 days for 5 weeks now. The first 3 spawns turned white in 3-4 days and the pair ate them after they turned white. The last 2 spawns they have just eaten the eggs within a few hours of laying. The male is young, about a year old, the female is about 1 months. Will they ever get it right? Have they now developed a taste for eggs and will always eat them? Is there anything I can do except wait and see? Water parms are all good.

Mickey

MostlyDiscus
05-12-2008, 02:16 PM
Look to your water first. Check to see that the male is not only intrested but doing his job during spawning. Some strains mature early and some dont. Most times the male is ready from 12 to 15 months of age while the female can be ready as early as nine months. Andrew Soh has a product call Pro More that helps with male milt/fertility. My guess is water quality first then the age of the male.

numinous
05-12-2008, 02:25 PM
Thanks for the info, but as I said, my water parms are all good. pH 6.0, 70ppm, 83F, ammo 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 0 to trace. I am not so concerned that the spawns have been infertile because of the pair's age as I am worried that they are now eating the eggs within hours instead of days.

kaceyo
05-12-2008, 02:35 PM
Screen the eggs right after spawning so they can't be eaten. hopefully they will go back to caring for them after they get wrigglers.

Kacey