PDA

View Full Version : Fire Fox Question Please!

Kindredspirit
05-12-2008, 08:26 PM
Hey Guys ~ I just switched to Fire Fox ~ from IE...! I love it but the only problem I am having is that the fonts on every site are all funky!!

Like here...the letters as I type them are all squiggly and very annoying! This is not going to work and all sites are like this!

Help??:(

bavaria36
05-12-2008, 09:25 PM
You could try going to Tools/Options/Content and make sure that there are no weird fonts selected.

I've used FF for a long time now and never had any problems with the installation.

Don't forget to reboot the PC too just in case . Are you running XP or Vista ? or Mac ?

Aaron

bavaria36
05-12-2008, 09:29 PM
Just checked again. In Tools/Options/Content click "Advanced". There is a button " Allow pages to choose their own fonts ".Make sure that is checked.

I just unchecked that and the fonts on my pages change according to the font selection I had. Once you check it , the font setting is ignored and all the web pages display as they were set up to look by the author.

HTH

Aaron

Kindredspirit
05-12-2008, 09:29 PM
Hey Aaron ~ I tried doing your suggestion ~ I have not rebooted yet though ~ I am back with IE, now...I was so disppointed as I wanted to use Fire Fox, but every web page is horrible to read and when I type anything it is worse to read!:mad:

Do you think if I un-install Fire Fox and re-install it, that may help?

I am running XP, btw ~

bavaria36
05-12-2008, 09:38 PM
Marie,

it really should work. Don't give up. I've found FF to be a faster browser than IE and there are some great add-ons you can install later on.

Re-installing is a good idea. Also try downloading from scratch and make sure that you are downloading from the Mozilla site and not a proxy site (just in case)

http://en-us.www.mozilla.com/en-US/

Aaron

PS did you also try the suggestion from the second mail ? It could have got posted after you replied

Kindredspirit
05-12-2008, 10:18 PM
Marie,

PS did you also try the suggestion from the second mail ? It could have got posted after you replied

Aaron...no I didn't see this! Thanks....!

Guess what? Now my fonts on IE are soooooooooooo F* Small!! :o:o I have messed up something major, Aaron...lol!

I spent forever too, setting up my pages at FF and adding my favorites...only to find all the websites fonts look like crap....

I have Comcast High Speed with the new Power boost, Aaron, it is soooooooo fast....and you are right, even faster with FF!

Hopefully, I can fix this text/font problem....!

I will go to your site and re-install:)

Thank You So Much!

Kindredspirit
05-12-2008, 10:32 PM
Okay, Aaron...my New Best Friend!.......I un-installed FF, and re-installed it and the fonts and all text on here, and I am sure every where else is WORSE!!

Not small anymore...so that fixed itself, but it's squiggly and light and horrible, Aaron....:(

And wanna know the strangest thing is? I un-intstalled FF right, and when I re-installed it, all my personal tool bar buttons, are still here! And..my fav places..too!

***?

I despise car and computer problems Aaron.......:mad:

bavaria36
05-12-2008, 11:24 PM
Marie,

I think that the Fav places and bookmarks are imported from IE. Also when you uninstall FF it probably leaves some basic directories still installed so that may be why you see them. I found this on the Mozilla site

Removing Firefox 2 won't remove your bookmarks, web browsing history, extensions or other add-ons. This data is stored in your profile folder, which is located in one of the following locations depending on your operating system:
Windows Vista Users\<UserName>\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox
Windows 2000, XP, Server 2003 Documents and Settings\<UserName>\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox

I think that you should be able to fix the font problems by messing with the settings. I can reproduce a lot of the weird text myself by changing these settings so we should be able to fix them.

Here are my settings. Try and reproduce them exactly and see what happens

1) On the View menu makes sure that Text Size is normal, Page style is Basic and Character Encoding is Western.

2) Then on Tools/Options /Content menu I have Default Font set at Times new Roman
Then in Advanced check the " Allow pages to choose their own fonts " box.

Aaron

Kindredspirit
05-13-2008, 07:45 AM
Hey Aaron! I just turned my computer on and FF is gone! Not on desktop...so it does need to be restarted after un-installation which it failed to never tell me that, but I was wondering it all the same!

So I am going to install it and try your new instructions ~ thanks, Aaron. I totally appreciate this ~

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_4_10.gif

ps.....don't forget about me, now:D

Kindredspirit
05-13-2008, 08:04 AM
we should be able to fix them.

uh huh. Sure. Well, babe, I will buy you lunch if you solve this mystery!

Here are my settings. Try and reproduce them exactly and see what happens

I have the exact settings as you now, Aaron ~ Nothing. Zip. Nada. I wish I could take a picture of the fonts and the web pages so you can see I am not blonde! Well, I am...but, really Aaron, I don't know how you are going to fix this...

And ~

I really liked FF......:(

Ryan
05-13-2008, 09:26 AM
What type of monitor are you using (flat screen/LCD or standard) and what version of Windows do you run?

Kindredspirit
05-13-2008, 09:55 AM
Ryan ~ I have XP, and I have a Hp Pavilion 170, ~ LCD, flat, or standard? It is flat, and I think LCD....:o

bavaria36
05-13-2008, 12:59 PM
Marie,

if you uninstall FF does IE work fine now ?

I checked with our IT guy here at work and he said there are no known bugs with FF and fonts. I also googled this problem but found nothing.

When I am home this evening I will take screen snapshots of my settings and post them to make 100% sure that we are set up exactly the same.

If you want to take snaphshots yourself its easy. Here is how

Windows XP

1. Make sure the page in question is the active window. (Maximizing the window will put more content into the snapshot.)
2. If testing cursor sensitive action, move the mouse over the desired object. Note: the mouse may not appear in the image, but mention where the mouse was when you took the snapshot.
3. Press the "Alt" and "Prt Scr" keys at the same time. This creates a copy of the active window on the system clipboard. If the "Alt" key is not pressed along with the "Prt Scr" key, you get an image of all visible windows which makes your snapshot a little bigger than necessary, but is not a problem.

You have just taken the snapshot. Now to "develop" it —
4. Open the Windows paint program and paste the screenshot
5. Click "File", "Save As..." to open the file save dialog. Save as jpeg
6. Name the file whatever you like and note the directory (folder) where it is being stored.
7. You might have to resize it first before posting. It might be too large for this site !

Aaron

Ryan
05-13-2008, 01:15 PM
I don't think the problem is with Firefox. I think it may have something to do with ClearFonts, which can sometimes look distorted on a flat panel monitor depending on whether or not you have ClearFonts turned on or off.

Marie, try the screen shots that Aaron suggested and we will go from there.

bavaria36
05-13-2008, 07:50 PM
Marie,

is IE working OK once you uninstall FF ?

Aaron

Kindredspirit
05-13-2008, 07:51 PM
Marie,

if you uninstall FF does IE work fine now ?

Aaron, I never had a problem with IE...I just always have heard that FF is better and more secure....and it is a lot faster!...I didn't think my computer could be faster..., so I thought I would try it ~ ;)

Aaron, I just got home and I am going to restart my computer...I just don't get if I copied your font settings, why I don't have perfect text?:(

I will also try your 'snap shot " suggestion.

Thank You!

I don't think the problem is with Firefox. I think it may have something to do with ClearFonts, which can sometimes look distorted on a flat panel monitor depending on whether or not you have ClearFonts turned on or off.

Sounds good to me, Ryan....what is ClearFonts? Tell me where to go and I will see if it is turned on or off....I'm thinkin I want it on, right?

Marie, try the screen shots that Aaron suggested and we will go from there.

Okay, Ryan ~ will do ~ this is so frustrating and I appreciate both you guys working on it for me!

Kindredspirit
05-14-2008, 08:46 AM
Ryan and Aaron! Guess what???

My fonts are perfect now! Guess they knew you boys were coming for them....lol!

There is just a little bit more tweaking....:D

All websites are good now as well ~ I do have one teensy weensy issue left....in the mornings when I turn on my computer, like now, every site I go to it has not remembered my name or password, like here, and Cyphos and Sc...

I tell it too, why does not FF listen?........:(, Also, my on line banking I never say to remember name and password on there, but what the bank site is doing is asking me all these stupid questions, every time I log on as it:

"sorry we are not familiar with the computer you are using so ....."

Only the browser has changed, not the computer....:)

Any suggestions?

Ryan
05-14-2008, 08:59 AM
Firefox and IE do not share cookies or sessions. That means that you'll have to re-login to all of the sites you use when you visit them in Firefox for the first time.

Just make sure to check "Remember me" or "Auto-login" on all the sites you visit.

bavaria36
05-14-2008, 01:01 PM
Marie,

glad to hear its all OK with the fonts now. If you have played around with the settings, now you know where they are so it will be easy to tweak them.. just make a note of the ones that work so you can always go back to that configuration.

As Ryan said, all your cookies from IE are not used in FF but once you login to your sites once it will store its own ones. The bank sites might be more tricky cos they have more rigorous security checks I guess. I have the same messages on my bank when I log in from a different computer but not after I just restart my usual one....

If the problem persists you should call the bank. I suspect that the issue is related to the security settings ( Tools/Options/ Advanced or Tools/Options/Security ) but to be honest I do not really know much about them so I don't want to recommend any changes !

Aaron

Kindredspirit
05-14-2008, 08:02 PM
Just make sure to check "Remember me" or "Auto-login" on all the sites you visit.

Ryan I have been checking that little box..."remember me"....I swear...like just now I logged on here and had to retype my name and password....:confused:

I don't understand why it is not remembering me ~ I am not that hard to forget....!:D

Kindredspirit
05-14-2008, 08:04 PM
Marie,
just make a note of the ones that work so you can always go back to that configuration.

Yup. Yours work! I copied yours exactly, Aaron:D

I will keep working with the login...not remembering issue!

Thanks, you guys!:)