PDA

View Full Version : Differences In Discus

halvyt
05-14-2008, 06:20 AM
I have been looking around the web for discus and have noticed that there are a lot of names for basically the same fish. I am sure that some of you have noticed this too especially if you look at whats currently being offered on some of the auction sites. My question is who comes up with the names and how can you tell the differences? There are tons of reds out there that basically look the same but have different names. There are leopards out there as well that are like this. Can someone please explain why this happens?

MSD
05-14-2008, 08:04 AM
Easy, it is a marketing ploy by the sellers to make you think they have a new or rare strain and get more money from the buyers. I have gotten burnt too often seeing pictures of one strain and receiving another altogether from some sellers. Thats why its best to buy in person, and if thats not possible to buy from the forum sponsors so you will have a recourse, and probably no problems to begin with.

gotfish?
05-14-2008, 11:53 AM
---thats why i like the wild strains, from a "pure-ist" point of view:D

spudz
05-14-2008, 12:19 PM
I've been had that way too. I'd rather much buy from locals and see what I get before I buy. I also set a network of ppl who know what i want. They have a rep to hold up to. Some guy in cyberspace doesn't care .
Easy, it is a marketing ploy by the sellers to make you think they have a new or rare strain and get more money from the buyers. I have gotten burnt too ofter seeing pictures of one strain and receiving another altogether from some sellers. Thats why its best to buy in person, and if thats not possible to buy from the forum sponsors so you will have a recourse, and probably no problems to begin with.