PDA

View Full Version : Stringy poo with small lumps

Don Trinko
05-14-2008, 08:19 PM
I bought these fish cheap from a dealer knowing that they might still have stringy poo. ( 6 1 1/2 to 2 1/4" Flachen)
I have gone thru several treatments of prazi and metro ( normaly at seperate times). The poo apears to be from 2 fish and has changed over time from clear to slightly tan with small lumps. The fish are active and eating. ( except one may not be eating) they are picky eaters but they do eat. ( mostly FBW).
my questions are:
1. does expelling the stringy poo mean that some of the internal parasites are dying?
2. What is the proper med? (What is the likely parasite?)
3. I was using 50mg of metro powder per 20g of water once a day. Is this correct? I know some use a lot more but I don't want to kill the fish with the meds.
4. I have a good microscope but little knowledge of making slides.
Thanks; Don T.

brewmaster15
05-15-2008, 07:16 AM
Don,
The dose of metro you used was far too low... Even conservatively used its dosed at 250-500mg per 10 gal 1x a day...This is my normal usage here and I carry it out 7-10 days...
..others go far higher with multiple dosings per day.

I would suggest re-doing the metro dosing first...

I'd also suggest after that a course of good dewormer...Prazi is good for tape worms and flukes.......there are many other kinds of worms possible here...something containing levamisole would be good.. look into gel tek products.

The stringy poo doesn't mean they are expelling the parasites...usually it contains some though as well as intestinal lining...Its a stress and inflammation response to a problem...not always meaning there are parasites involved though.

hth,
al

Don Trinko
05-15-2008, 07:21 AM
I think my metro dose was 500 not 50. The original metro I bought said 500, when I bought the larger size the container said one scoup was 50.
One fish now has some white on the dorsal fin. I may remove the 2 I suspect of bad poo ( they also don't look as healthy) and treat them seperate. Thanks; Don T.