PDA

View Full Version : Sand substrate...

Bobears
05-15-2008, 10:44 AM
How much sand would anyone use on a 65gal for discus? I want to use as little as possible. I am worried that too little sand may blow around in the tank.

36x18 are the dimensions.

Thanks
Bobby

aquagal
05-15-2008, 10:54 AM
I put about 3/4 of a 50lb bag in my 55gal (which is 48X12) to get about a 1 inch depth of sand.

yim11
05-15-2008, 09:52 PM
I have the same size tank as aquagal and used all of the 50lb bag (I wanted a little thicker substrate for some plants).

In my experience, the sand is going to blow no matter how much or how little you have. There just isn't anything you can do about it - it's going to get on the plants, driftwood, in the filters, and every place else. Guess its the price we pay for the look. :)

Hope that helps,
-jim

LizStreithorst
05-15-2008, 10:02 PM
I've used sand in the front and gravel in the back of a planted tank. I did it like that because the food would settle on the sand abd the Discus seem to enjoying blowing in the sand for their food.

BTW, Wattley maintains that sand is a huge no no. Bleher insists that is a necessity. Experts, sheesh...

GrillMaster
05-15-2008, 10:39 PM
LOL....Either or as long as ya do water changes. :D

A 50lb bag fills up a 75G pretty good. You might not want to use quite the whole bag, but that all depends on the asthetics your looking for. :)

bs6749
05-15-2008, 11:12 PM
If you are worried about the sand moving around you may want to consider pool filter sand. This is a pretty common substrate in aquariums and it is cheap. I used a little over half a 50 lb bag in my 55 gallon tank. The grains are larger and the sand is easier to siphon than regular "play sand" or washed sand.

Ryan
05-15-2008, 11:29 PM
If you are worried about the sand moving around you may want to consider pool filter sand. This is a pretty common substrate in aquariums and it is cheap. I used a little over half a 50 lb bag in my 55 gallon tank. The grains are larger and the sand is easier to siphon than regular "play sand" or washed sand.

This is what I use, too. It's silica sand. Any pool supply store can order it for you in 50lb bags. Just ask for silica or pool filter sand. It's a light tan color but under lighting it looks almost white, and it's heavy enough that it doesn't get sucked up too easily or blow around the tank (unless you have a filter outlet really close to the bottom).

Bobears
05-16-2008, 12:10 AM
My LFS said today that silica was bad. This will be my first discus only tank and I don't like the BB look. Should I go with small, very small, gravel? The water changes will be 3x a week@20% per change.

Luis138
05-16-2008, 12:41 AM
Leslie's Pool Supply sells a 50 lbs bag of pool filter sand for $9.99. Can't beat that price.

Luis

aquagal
05-16-2008, 08:06 AM
I got mine from Leslie's Pool Supply and I LOVE it! It is slightly motled, which hides more than the CaribSea White Marine Sand that I used to have that was very white and did not look good as soon as I added the fish and they started pooping on it.

The pool filter sand and the CaribSea sand (sold in pet stores) are both silica sand (just different grain sizes). Whoever told you the silica is bad is misinformed, many people of this forum use it successfully.

Ryan
05-16-2008, 10:30 AM
I've used silica tons of times. Browse other fish forums; it's probably the most popular choice for aquariums because of the heavier grains and the cheap price.

It's hard to always listen to what an LFS says.

Harriett
05-16-2008, 02:02 PM
My LFS said today that silica was bad. This will be my first discus only tank and I don't like the BB look. Should I go with small, very small, gravel? The water changes will be 3x a week@20% per change.

Your LFS is WRONG. There is nothing bad about pool sand [silica sand]. It is inert, it is heavy enough that it doesn't blow around, it doesn't disturb the barbells of the cories, etc, junk sits right on top and can be vacuumed off easily, when you use a python vacuum the sand will suck up but as soon as you lift the tube out of the sand bed, it all falls right back down. I have never had a problem with it or with the sand getting into my filter systems or whatever. I use it alot and many others do too. Cheap, too! I get mine in Chicago for about $8/50 lb. Light buff color, really nice, bounces the light well. I grow plants in it and they root well and stay put. Just stir the sand on a regular basis so no anaerobic pockets form.
Best regards
Harriett

orthofish
05-16-2008, 02:28 PM
This is all good to know for me. I was always afraid I would eventually fill my septic tank up with sand:confused::D

Bobears
05-16-2008, 06:54 PM
I have heard the exact same things you guys are saying. I'm thankful for the responses and a little disappointed in my LFS. Maybe he's just mad I don't get my discus from him:(.

Thanks All..

sophie68
05-17-2008, 08:54 AM
Hi all,

I've got a thin layer of quartz in my 80 gallon and I love the look of it. A bag of 50 pounds was enough. It's called "torpedo beach". I love it! Sorry, this picture is really TOO small LOL...Will post a bigger one!

bluedisc
05-17-2008, 11:26 AM
python vacuum at the faucet attachment, We use a surgical type hair net cap and a clamp it will catch the extra debris instead of going down the drain