PDA

View Full Version : Tall Tanks vs Long Tanks

LostAcres
05-19-2008, 05:35 PM
Question: I know somewhere it has been discussed before, I am sure. I am getting ready to purchase another tank, since my 75 gallon is a wee bit overcrowded right now. Going to do some color separation.

I have a 55 gallon tall tank for my two LARGE Wilds, and a regular 75 gallon for the others, not a tall tank. I don't really know if Discus prefer the longer footprint of the 75 gallon, or the taller tank for more up and down. Too me personally it seems the larger footprint gives them more swimming room, when they accelerate for whatever reason. And of course the taller tank is a little harder to clean.

Any opinions? It will probably be a 55 gallon or a larger, if I can figure out how to position another 75 gallon.

Love to hear opinions and experiences, and of course, I LOVE pictures.

Thank you

pcsb23
05-19-2008, 05:43 PM
no pics at the mo' - sorry :o

long, wide and deep is my preference, my main fishroom tanks are 4ft long by 2 foot wide by 18inches high, lots of surface area = good gas exchange = more fish!!

gotfish?
05-19-2008, 09:21 PM
personally i like tall tanks, the taller the better...thats just me..what do i know right?lol:D

but since you said your gonna be doing some color seperation, i think a longer tank would be alot more better for you, where you can just put dividers and still have swimming space for your fish:D

GrillMaster
05-19-2008, 10:00 PM
I believe discus can establish territory in a longer tank rather than a taller one as well...:)

Ryan
05-20-2008, 01:28 AM
I ended up going with the 150 rather than the 125 just because it was a few inches higher. I think that discus appreciate deep tanks, but I also wanted to make sure the tank was wide and long enough for them to really have space to stretch their fins. Twelve adults in a 150 still saw tons of chasing and aggression, especially when spawning. I couldn't imagine the fish being in a square tank vs. a long one when all that chasing is going on -- they wouldn't have far to go :(

Harriett
05-20-2008, 11:40 AM
I agree with Ryan, I always look for length first, then height and width, seems like the best for my discus regular behaviors.
Best regards
Harriett

Sam Chicklets
05-21-2008, 10:35 PM
A 20 to 24" tall tank is perfectly fine for discus. As posted earlier the bigger the footprint the better.

dpt8
05-23-2008, 06:53 AM
I love the looks of taller tanks, especially when the discus are adults and bow, display for one another and lightly float up and down the tank.. I have a 65 gl. and a few 90's

YSS
05-23-2008, 09:14 AM
As stated length is the most important dimension for any tank that houses aggressive and active fish. So, that should be the first consideration. Width is also important, but height is completely personal preference. The fish will appreciate the extra height of tall tanks, but probably not as much as length and width (just me talking. don't really know what discus prefer. :D )

Personally, I love tall tanks. 90G tank looks so much better than 75G. My 265G is 30" tall. Major pain in the butt to clean and maintain, but I love the look. I chose 36G bow front over 46G because 36G BF is 2" higher than the 46G.

namasgt
05-23-2008, 09:45 AM
I would go with length. IMO tall tanks make discus look nicer comparing to a short one, but lenght of the tank comes first in purchasing for me.

Darrell Ward
05-23-2008, 01:24 PM
I like 6' tanks for Discus. My 125 gal. tanks are great. I also have a planted tank that measures 72"x 24"x 31" tall. Looks good, but is a pain to work in, since it sits on a 3' high stand that houses a 55 gal. sump. Step stools are required. The fish love it though. I have an empty 180 in the garage. If I ever get around to setting it up, it'll be on a much shorter stand. Whatever you get, make sure you can easily reach the bottom. This avoids a lot of cursing and swearing later. :D You might try a 150 gal. tall. 4' long, 18" wide, 31" tall. Glasscages makes one. If you could somehow find the room, a 125 gal. would be the way to go.

brewmaster15
05-23-2008, 01:29 PM
Tank Length is more a factor for me.. From my observations, I think discus naturally spread out more along the bottom of a tank.. My 125's work out great.

hth,
al

ShinShin
05-23-2008, 08:45 PM
Front to back depth is far more important than top to bottom. 16" top to bottom is enough, while 18" front to back is superior. Tall tanks appeal to the eye of the keeper, the front to back depth of 18 appeals to the security of the discus.

Mat

sophie68
05-23-2008, 09:44 PM
I am very happy with my bow front 80 Gallon because it's deep (27") (but not too deep to clean) so that the discus can go up and down if they want to (and they do!) and at the same time, it's also pretty long (48 ") and the width goes from 13" to about 17" in the middle of the tank. Most people think it's much bigger than an 80 G when they see it. That's all I could place in my dining room. I also have a 55 G on the other side of the wall!

Sophie

LostAcres
05-24-2008, 01:33 PM
Well, thanks everyone, I ended up with a 55 gallon, reg size, 48 long, so not as deep as some and not as tall. I Like the longer footprint. This one will house my 6 BD, since my 75 is getting overcrowded, because everyone decided to grow VERY fast. I do have Pool filter sand substrate in this tank, and will add a branchy piece of driftwood and maybe a few small grassy plants. It is placed right next to my tall tank (same width) that houses the wilds, and is sort of a room divider. Looks soooooooooo good, watching the water clear right now from where I sit. Hoping that with filter media and spongefilter swapping, I can cycle it quickly and move the BDs into it at the same time.

Someone NEEDS to stop me...my whole downstairs is becoming a FISH ROOM!!!:D

GrillMaster
05-24-2008, 08:06 PM
Someone NEEDS to stop me...my whole downstairs is becoming a FISH ROOM!!!

Dont look at us!!! ;) :D :D