PDA

View Full Version : Is 20 gal tank too small to grow out discus?

fxie
05-20-2008, 10:04 PM
As the title says, is a 20gal too small of a tank to grow out 6 2-2.5" discus? I am planning on moving them into a 33gal in a few weeks, and then into a 135gal planted community tank once they reach 4-5" in size.

I don't physically have the room to set up a 50gal as a grow out tank, so would the 20gal tank be sufficient for the immediate future?

The discus seem quite happy right now, eating lots (and pooping lots), swimming nicely, and I keep up with daily 50% water changes. I just hope the small tank doesn't stunt them :(

White Worm
05-20-2008, 11:09 PM
They may be fine for a little bit but they will quickly outgrow even the 33g. Theres no way you should have (6) 5" discus in a 33g tank. They will probably not even make it to 4"-5" if they are not givin sufficient room to grow. As they grow in the 20 and the 33, you will most definately have to really keep up on the water changes. They would be better off in the 135g than the 20 or 33g. Best option would be to sell the 20 and the 33 and get the 50-55g for grow out. A small environment will most likely stunt their growth.

bs6749
05-20-2008, 11:10 PM
If you keep up on the water changes they should be fine for some time until you can move them to a larger tank. Some breeders will keep a pair that are 5"+ each in a 20 high so I don't see why you couldn't grow out smaller ones. As I said though, keep on top of the water quality.

fxie
05-20-2008, 11:19 PM
Yes, I am also fairly concerned that the limited tank space may effect their growth potential, but I only plan on having them in the 20gal for a month or so, then they will be moved into the 33gal for another couple months. I don't physically have the room for a 4' long tank (the 33 and 20gal tanks are on either side of the 135, and the room is such a size that there is not sufficient space on either side for a 4' long tank), so I was wondering if the 33gal would be large enough (temporarily) for when they reach 4" in size. After that, they will go into the 135gal planted tank.

Also, I am keeping up with water changes at 50% daily, and feeding them 4-6 times a day. I know this is far from ideal, but if they will be OK for the shortterm in the 20gal, then that will calm me down a bit :D

digthemlows
05-21-2008, 08:43 AM
I would put them in the 33, do 50% water changes daily and move them to the 135 in 2 months........get them to about 3.5" and move them. I don't have experience to back my opinion though, just lots of reading and photos of stunted discus and the tanks they were brought up in.

aquagal
05-21-2008, 10:27 AM
I had 5 juvenilles (around 2.5") in a 20gal QT tank and they did fine and grew well. I did 50% daily WC and I never had water quality issues. They were in there for more than 6 weeks before I transferred to a 55gal.

kaceyo
05-21-2008, 12:00 PM
The key is to do very large daily wc's and twice a day would be better. Never leave food sitting around in the tank after feedings and keep filters and tank very clean. These are especially important in an overstocked tank.

Kacey

Don Trinko
05-21-2008, 02:32 PM
Fish ( any fish) can grow in a small tank but it is hard to keep the water quality while feeding the amount needed to grow. While they are growing the fish produce amonia and other things that lower the quality of the water.
Comercial breeders have high fish density but they also have elaborate filtering and near continus WC Don T.

Apistomaster
05-22-2008, 01:43 PM
The 20 gal is fine for a six week quarantine period but much longer than that and you run a risk of permanently stunting them. Large daily water changes can only help up to a point.

kaceyo
05-22-2008, 02:56 PM
The 20 gal is fine for a six week quarantine period but much longer than that and you run a risk of permanently stunting them. Large daily water changes can only help up to a point.

Very true. It must be considered a temporary situation.

Kacey