PDA

View Full Version : Bit of aggression...

Jenn83
05-20-2008, 10:52 PM
I just purchased two juvenile discus yesterday and last night while feeding I noticed one being a bit aggressive towards the other (nudging and what looks to be a little bit of nipping at the body). Today again there was a bit of aggression during feeding. There is also a bit of nudging even when they are not feeding but not as much and there are times they seem fine together. Will this aggression always be there or will it calm down? Would adding another discus help at all?

White Worm
05-20-2008, 11:13 PM
2 is not a good number unless they are a pair. One will continually bully the other until stress leads to sickness and then possible death. They are cichlids so the behavior is normal but discus do better in groups of 5-6 because it will dispurse that aggression. 3 is not so much better than 2. The aggression will most likely get worse as the dominant fish takes full control of the tank.

bs6749
05-20-2008, 11:16 PM
It all depends. Aggression during feeding is normal as is some aggression periodically. The fish may not feel comfortable in their surroundings. How many discus are in the tank and how large is the tank? It's not a good idea at all to keep two by themselves which I am thinking is the situation you have them in. Discus need to be kept in groups of 6 or more ideally. This helps to spread the aggression out between the individual fish instead of one constantly taking the brunt of it from everyone.

Jenn83
05-21-2008, 06:13 AM
I have 2 for the reasons that this is my first time keeping Discus and wasn't sure how much luck I would have and also because currently my setup is in a 38 gal. I would like to keep my Discus in the 38 gal. for quite sometime, what would be the best number to have in it?

bs6749
05-21-2008, 10:59 AM
You should have done more research on discus before purchasing them IMHO. You are setting yourself up for faliure by not knowing basics about them but at least you are now wanting to find info/help.

Not to be a jerk, but honestly you won't be able to put ANY discus permanently in a 38 gallon tank. You COULD put juvies (5+ as previously stated) and then move them when they get larger but that limiting tank size is most likely going to stunt your discus and you will end up with BIG-eyed football shaped fish that will be unhealthy.

The MINIMUM I'd even consider keeping a group of 5 adult discus in would be a 45 gallon, and when I say "I'd consider" I'm saying that's what I'd recommend to someone and not something I'd consider myself. It's just not enough room IMO. You best bet would be to look at a new tank if you are serious about the health and well being of the fish. Consider a 55 gallon tank as the new minimum for 6 adults. The general rule of thumb is 1 adult discus per 10 gallons of water. This is only a general rule as the shape and size of the tank may permit more or less, generally larger tanks can accomodate more like a 125 gallon with 15 IMO.

I'd be looking at getting some more juvies if I were you. This should help calm the others and reduce the aggression. What size tank are the two in currently and how large are the juvies?

White Worm
05-21-2008, 11:05 AM
Problem is....people try to start off small because they want to test the waters a little. With discus, that will most likely create a harder entry into the hobby. "I'll get a couple and see how I do"........... They get sick and die..... "Discus are hard to keep like the myth says". They are not hard to keep provided you do it right to start with. You should have 4 maybe 5 juveniles but then you run into the problem of them outgrowing your tank as they hit adulthood. The best way for a new person to start discus is to have a 55g or larger and start with 5-6 quality juveniles. That gives you the best recipe for success. Always QT new additions and keep the water clean with 4-5 in your 38g tank. I speak only from my own experience and opinion.

kaceyo
05-21-2008, 11:45 AM
At this point I think your best option would be to buy 3 more, if possible from the same tank yours came out of. Normaly I'd recommend that you QT all new fish but it sounds like you don't have the equipment to do it. Do large daily water changes and work on getting a 55 gal or larger tank in the next couple of months.

Kacey

Jenn83
05-21-2008, 12:02 PM
[QUOTE=bs6749;455434]You should have done more research on discus before purchasing them IMHO. You are setting yourself up for faliure by not knowing basics about them but at least you are now wanting to find info/help.
QUOTE]

I did do reasearch before purchasing them. Of course I am not going to know everything there is to know about them, but I am wanting to learn and thought that this particular forum was great for that and not be what seems to be accused of lack of research while asking questions.

I do know it is ideal/recommended to start with 6 minimum. But as a first timer it was a big leap to just purchase 6+ at the amount each one costs and I am sure I am not the only one that has done this. Was it the best choice, probably not, but you live and learn.

I do want to purchase a few more and plan on purchasing a bigger tank, but I was hoping to stick with the 38 for a few months.

Jenn83
05-21-2008, 12:05 PM
At this point I think your best option would be to buy 3 more, if possible from the same tank yours came out of. Normaly I'd recommend that you QT all new fish but it sounds like you don't have the equipment to do it. Do large daily water changes and work on getting a 55 gal or larger tank in the next couple of months.

Kacey

Not sure where it sounded like I don't have the equipment, but I do have a 30 gal QT setup and will be looking into purchasing a few more.

kaceyo
05-21-2008, 01:20 PM
Not sure where it sounded like I don't have the equipment, but I do have a 30 gal QT setup and will be looking into purchasing a few more.

Hi Jenn83,
You are right. It was only because you mentioned that you were just starting and I mistakenly thought you were just starting with fish. My appologies!
I think you will be fine with the 38g for a couple of months. The first time I bought discus I put 10 2.5" to 3"ers in a 20gal for the first 6 weeks, then moved them to a 50gal. With 2 daily wc's of 50% each I eventually managed to grow one to over 8" and the rest were between 5" and 7".
Kacey

bs6749
05-21-2008, 02:03 PM
I did do reasearch before purchasing them. Of course I am not going to know everything there is to know about them, but I am wanting to learn and thought that this particular forum was great for that and not be what seems to be accused of lack of research while asking questions.

I do know it is ideal/recommended to start with 6 minimum. But as a first timer it was a big leap to just purchase 6+ at the amount each one costs and I am sure I am not the only one that has done this. Was it the best choice, probably not, but you live and learn.

I do want to purchase a few more and plan on purchasing a bigger tank, but I was hoping to stick with the 38 for a few months.

Jenn, look at what you said.....I'm NOT trying to be a jerk and I'm sorry if it came off that way. You said that you know that it's recommended to start off 6 juvies so why did you go ahead an purchase just the two knowing that they most likely wouldn't do well? This just makes no sense to me. It's along the same lines as buying a car with an engine that requires 5 quarts of oil but only getting 2 quarts of oil to see "how it works". Maybe that's a bad example since cars come with oil in the engine but I think you get my point. It's best to purchase 6+ all at once instead of when you can even though the initial cost can be high. Whether it's with discus, or the car, there will be unnecessary problems as a result of not planning/making poor decisions. Have I made poor decisions? You bet, it sucks and I've learned from them. I'm glad that you are taking the time to find the answers instead of being one of "those people" that continually makes the same mistakes and gets frustrated and thinks that discus are hard to keep. As Mikscus said, they aren't hard to keep provided that the proper requirements are met.

White Worm
05-21-2008, 05:42 PM
[QUOTE=bs6749;455434]You should have done more research on discus before purchasing them IMHO. You are setting yourself up for faliure by not knowing basics about them but at least you are now wanting to find info/help.
QUOTE]

Try not to get defensive. No one is attacking you. We are not only trying to get you on the right road but the info here could help out a new person doing the same research as you have been doing. Many, including me, have done the same thing and it didnt work. Many of us have run into the exact problems you are currently experiencing and we are trying to help you avoid what is to come if you dont remedy your current situation. You may be able to do certain things for a short period of time and get away with it to only end up at the same conclusion. I ended up spending alot more money than I would have if I had just started the right way in the first place.