PDA

View Full Version : Power Outage!! Now Computer Won't Turn on!

Kindredspirit
05-23-2008, 12:14 AM
Hey Guys ~ last night we had a power outage in the middle of the night...I don't know how long ~ I woke up at 4ish...it came back on around 5am..

But ~

My computer ( which worked fine last night ) won't stay on..boots up, goes to blue HP screen...then goes blank, with a message at the lower left side...

"cpu fan failed, service immediately, will boot off in 5 seconds"

Just Now...I was talking to two of my neighbors and THEIR computers won't turn on at all!!....after the power outage!

.......What is going on?

Please tell me this is not serious!....

White Worm
05-23-2008, 02:02 AM
Do you have your computer on a surge protector?

Kindredspirit
05-23-2008, 06:46 AM
Probably, Not......just plugged into plug strip thingy....

Graham
05-23-2008, 06:56 AM
:(:angry::mad::( That's what surge protectors are for .....so things don't get cooked when the power comes back on........off to the repair shop

MostlyDiscus
05-23-2008, 07:08 AM
Hopefully its only the power supply

Kindredspirit
05-23-2008, 07:08 AM
Actually, boys...I guess I do have a surge protector! According to the images I googled, looks just like mine........:D

Lot of good it did:(

BSW
05-23-2008, 07:52 AM
If your running Windows, as soon as it starts up, press the F8 key. That is safe mode, it should open if it isn't fried. You will not be able to go to the internet, save files and stuff, but you should be able to get in. If it opens, is is a glitch in the software, probably because of the power surge, it will be able to be fixed. If it doesn't open it's probably toast.
B

bs6749
05-23-2008, 09:03 AM
The fan may simply have been fried. If the fan isn't being detected by the MOBO (motherboard) then there is more than likely a safety feature that prevents the computer from operating as the CPU would get too hot to run and would fail.

Open your computer case and turn on your computer. See if the fan over the CPU is spinning at all. It should start spinning within a few seconds of turning on the computer. If it doesn't spin by the time you get to the screen telling you that the cpu fan failed I suggest purchasing a new fan...that will be your cheapest place to start only $5-20. If you take the computer in they will charge you MUCH more I can guarantee that. I can help you pick out the fan you need as there are really only 4 or so options. If you know what type of processor you have (Intel or AMD) that will cut the choices down to about 2 immediately. On the case there is probably a badge that is either AMD or Intel. If you can't find that maybe you know the model number of the computer. I can look it up from there if you provide that information.

Kindredspirit
05-23-2008, 11:31 AM
Thanks, Guys! I took the fan out and will take it in...it is only five bucks or so ~ I replaced it a long time ago...!

I hope that is what is!........I was doing some research on the error message I got...and basically what I read was "don't keep turning on the computer"

bs6749
05-23-2008, 06:29 PM
Don't forget the thermal compound! I don't like the paste that comes with the fan (if any at all)... I prefer Arctic Silver 5 as it does a MUCH better job at heat exchange.

sophie68
05-23-2008, 11:58 PM
Hi Marie,

Is your computer okay now? Let me know! I hope so! From the sound of it, it is....

Sophie

Kindredspirit
05-24-2008, 09:05 AM
No it is NOT! I am sooooooooooooo annoyed! I can't access my bank as it says we don't recognize the computer you are using, since I am on my daughter's computer... so they give me all the "questions".......I answered 20 years ago when I opened the account!!

Like...what is your fav pet? Sophie, I put every pet in I ever had my entire life, woman! "Sorry, that is the incorrect" answer".....:mad:...***?

Yesterday I went to Circuit City, Best Buy, NO ONE had this fan...then one guy told me that what I brought in was NOT the cpu fan was over the motherboard...I even googled it and the exact same fan was number 5....so he googled to prove me wrong and show me what a REAL ucp fan was, and there was mine again! But apparently, I want the one over the motherboard, and it does look different.......:mad:

They want $59 to tell me what is wrong with it and $30 bucks for the fan they don't carry and must order!

Other than that, Sophie, I am really in a great mood! Today and tomorrow is my last day working with Juvenile Sex Offenders!! I will have weekends off for once in 8 years.....!!

Kindredspirit
05-24-2008, 09:07 AM
Don't forget the thermal compound! I don't like the paste that comes with the fan (if any at all)... I prefer Arctic Silver 5 as it does a MUCH better job at heat exchange.

Thermal Compound? Paste? Hell No!

How about a hammer??? My friend fixed my daughter's computer which was out for months....I will talk to him today and hopefully....:(

bs6749
05-24-2008, 09:13 AM
Thermal Compound? Paste? Hell No!

How about a hammer??? My friend fixed my daughter's computer which was out for months....I will talk to him today and hopefully....:(

You don't use any thermal compound?

I take it that your computer isn't fixed yet...maybe you can clear CMOS. If you look on your motherboard there may be a switch that you need to flip or maybe you have the type where you need a jumper for the pins. If you can't find that maybe you should just remove the battery that's on the MOBO. That will have the same effect if you keep the battery out for several minutes. Make sure to have the computer unplugged before messing around with this stuff though or else you run the risk of getting a shock..bzzzzzzz

Kindredspirit
05-24-2008, 09:19 AM
hmm....are we on the same page? The fan I popped out uses no paste ~ and pops back in and is NOT the problem....apparently!

As far as what you are talking about I so can not do that or even know what you are telling me to do.....:confused:

If my friend can not fix it then I will take it in.......:(

bs6749
05-24-2008, 09:19 AM
Like I said, they will charge you out the rear for this fix. Let me know what kind of CPU (Intel or AMD) you have and I can find you a fan shipped for under $20 most likely.

If you have the processor model number that should be sufficient information.

bs6749
05-24-2008, 09:28 AM
hmm....are we on the same page? The fan I popped out uses no paste ~ and pops back in and is NOT the problem....apparently!

As far as what you are talking about I so can not do that or even know what you are telling me to do.....:confused:

If my friend can not fix it then I will take it in.......:(

If there is not paste/compounde/thermal pad on the fan that you took off, then there's a good chance the wrong fan was removed. You need to remove the "heatsink" as well which should be all one unit with the fan most likely clipped around it by a plastic square bracket. The heatsink has vented "fins" like a radiator to dissipate the heat. There should be a copper piece that makes contact with the processor itself. Between the copper piece and the processor is where there SHOULD be thermal compound, which can cool the processors down by 20 degrees Celsius or more!

Anyway, here is a link to what the heatsink and fan generally looks like: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835200029

Kindredspirit
05-24-2008, 09:56 AM
YES! I did remove the wrong fan...but I so do not see another fan that big in there....I could not even tell you what the motherboard looks like....:o

I went to your link, and that is exactly what the guy at Circuit City showed me on his computer....he said it is very difficult to get out...what do you think? Hell, I can not even find it! I was in a hurry though, and I will look again...

bs6749
05-24-2008, 10:19 AM
The motherboard is what nearly all of the components hook into, you can't miss it but you probably wouldn't even take notice it with all of the wires and such. There should be a fan and there has to be a heatsink for heat exchange. Most likely it's a fan mounted ON the heatsink. Just look for somthing similar to what I showed you...there will be only one. They "can" be difficult to remove but it's by no means difficult. There WILL be four plastic push pins mounted on a bracket that holds the heatsink/fan assembly in place on the motherboard. The pins actually go through the other side of the motherboard to keep it intact. You may have to turn each pin before pulling on it to release it from the motherboard. You will see an arrow and most likely there will be room for a flat screwdriver on each plastic pin if you have to turn the pin before pulling on it. If not, simply pulling on it should free it. If you can, place a finger on both sides of the pin and press down on the motherboard before pulling as to not bend the board. It's really easier than it sounds and isn't difficult at all to do. If you have any problems just ask.

bs6749
05-24-2008, 10:27 AM
Here's a pic that may help you: http://www.pcper.com/images/reviews/232/heatsink_installed.jpg

I am used to the heatsink/fan on Intel CPU's so my description may have been a little off if you have an AMD. Notice in the picture that there appear to be two metal tabs (one visible and one presumably on the other side not shown) that are holding the heatsink in place? No offense, and this isn't directed at you, but these things are made to be removed by "common sense". There really is no reason for an elaborate device to hold the component on the board and they DO fail so they will eventually need to be replaced...might as well make it fairly easy to remove, right?

Note, the cooling device on the right belongs to the "Northbridge" and should also be on your motherboard but you don't need to remove that. It should also be near to where your heatsink/fan assembly is to give you a better idea of where to look. Hope that helps.

sophie68
05-24-2008, 10:48 AM
Hi Marie,

How is your PC doing????? I hope your friend can help you!!!!
Keep me posted!

Sophie